// //
// These libraries were adapted by Bernhard Nebel for use on Arduino //
// https://github.com/felias-fogg/SoftI2CMaster //
// //
// For more information on installing the I2C libraries for Arduino //
// visit http://playground.arduino.cc/Main/SoftwareI2CLibrary //
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//Hints on installing this code:
// 1. You will need to install the <SoftI2CMaster.h> library before using this code.
// On Windows, the files are placed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\SoftI2CMaster
// 2. As of 10-02-14 the Arduino library page (reference above) has the wrong name for the include file
// it lists <SoftI2C.h> instead of <SoftI2CMaster.h> – use the one that matches your installation.
// 3. Make sure to load the library into the Arduino compiler.
// To do this go to: SKETCH >> IMPORT LIBRARY… >> ADD LIBRARY…
// Then navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\SoftI2CMaster\SoftI2CMaster.h
// 4. Be sure to set the SCL and SDA pins so that they match the pins you are using.
// 5. I have included 3 working “code examples” which differ from the 3 “functions” I included.
// The three code examples show how I would implement each of the common tasks you may wish to do.
// 6. The included functions are as follows:
// A. start_sensor(addr)
// B. read_sensor(addr)
// C. change_address(oldaddr,newaddr)
// 7. The included code examples are as follows:
// A. read_the_sensor_example()
// B. address_polling_example()
// C. default_address_change_example()
// 8. You do not have to keep track of the error codes passed out by the installed functions if you do not want to.
// I inluded the error tracking so that it was easy for others to build a reliable system – and to ease
// troubleshooting. (not using it makes for cleaner code if you trust your interface)

/*
Below, I define the SCL and SDA pins by their ATMEGA pins I have included links to common mappings below.
UNO: http://arduino.cc/en/Hacking/PinMapping168
NANO: (matches UNO but has fewer pins)
MEGA 2560: http://arduino.cc/en/Hacking/PinMapping2560
The current data matches the setup for the Arduino Uno – they may need to be changed if the hardware changes.
You can also switch the I2C interface
to any of the tristate pins that you want (not just the SDA or SCL pins).
*/
#define SCL_PIN 5 //Default SDA is Pin5 PORTC for the UNO – you can set this to any tristate pin
#define SCL_PORT PORTC
#define SDA_PIN 4 //Default SCL is Pin4 PORTC for the UNO – you can set this to any tristate pin
#define SDA_PORT PORTC
#define I2C_TIMEOUT 100 //Define a timeout of 100 ms – do not wait for clock stretching longer than this time

/*
I have included a couple of extra useful settings for easy reference.
//#define I2C_CPUFREQ (F_CPU/8)//Useful if you plan on doing any clock switching
#define I2C_FASTMODE 1 //Run in fast mode (400 kHz)
#define I2C_SLOWMODE 1 //If you do not define the mode it will run at 100kHz with this define set to 1 it will run at 25kHz
*/
#include <SoftI2CMaster.h> //You will need to install this library

void setup(){
// Initialize both the serial and I2C bus
Serial.begin(9600);
i2c_init();

// (OPTIONAL) Check each address for a sensor
address_polling_example();

/*
Note that I placed the address change example in setup() for a good reason.
Changing the sensor address causes an EEPROM write, there should only be ~1,000,000+
of these writes to the sensor microcontroller over its product lifetime.
Changing the address is fine, but doing it every second for the next 4 years may
cause reliability issues.
*/
// (OPTIONAL) Run an address change example
// default_address_change_example();

// Your code here
}

void loop()
{
// (OPTIONAL) Read a sensor at the default address
read_the_sensor_example();

// Your code here

}

///////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Function: Start a range reading on the sensor //
///////////////////////////////////////////////////
//Uses the I2C library to start a sensor at the given address
//Collects and reports an error bit where: 1 = there was an error or 0 = there was no error.
//INPUTS: byte bit8address = the address of the sensor that we want to command a range reading
//OUPUTS: bit errorlevel = reports if the function was successful in taking a range reading: 1 = the function
// had an error, 0 = the function was successful
boolean start_sensor(byte bit8address){
boolean errorlevel = 0;
bit8address = bit8address & B11111110; //Do a bitwise ‘and’ operation to force the last bit to be zero – we are writing to the address.
errorlevel = !i2c_start(bit8address) | errorlevel; //Run i2c_start(address) while doing so, collect any errors where 1 = there was an error.
errorlevel = !i2c_write(81) | errorlevel; //Send the ‘take range reading’ command. (notice how the library has error = 0 so I had to use “!” (not) to invert the error)
i2c_stop();
return errorlevel;
}

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Function: Read the range from the sensor at the specified address //
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//Uses the I2C library to read a sensor at the given address
//Collects errors and reports an invalid range of “0” if there was a problem.
//INPUTS: byte bit8address = the address of the sensor to read from
//OUPUTS: int range = the distance in cm that the sensor reported; if “0” there was a communication error
int read_sensor(byte bit8address){
boolean errorlevel = 0;
int range = 0;
byte range_highbyte = 0;
byte range_lowbyte = 0;
bit8address = bit8address | B00000001; //Do a bitwise ‘or’ operation to force the last bit to be ‘one’ – we are reading from the address.
errorlevel = !i2c_start(bit8address) | errorlevel;
range_highbyte = i2c_read(0); //Read a byte and send an ACK (acknowledge)
range_lowbyte = i2c_read(1); //Read a byte and send a NACK to terminate the transmission
i2c_stop();
range = (range_highbyte * 256) + range_lowbyte; //compile the range integer from the two bytes received.
if(errorlevel){
return 0;
}
else{
return range;
}
}

/////////////////////////////////////////
// Function: Change the sensor address //
/////////////////////////////////////////
//Uses the I2C library to change the address of a sensor at a given address
//Collects and reports an error bit where: 1 = there was an error or 0 = there was no error.
//INPUTS: byte oldaddress = the current address of the sensor that we want to change
//INPUTS: byte newddress = the address that we want to change the sensor to
//OUPUTS: bit errorlevel = reports if the function was successful in changing the address: 1 = the function had an
// error, 0 = the function was successful
boolean change_address(byte oldaddress,byte newaddress){
//note that the new address will only work as an even number (odd numbers will round down)
boolean errorlevel = 0;
oldaddress = oldaddress & B11111110; //Do a bitwise ‘and’ operation to force the last bit to be zero – we are writing to the address.
errorlevel = !i2c_start(oldaddress) | errorlevel; //Start communication at the new address and track error codes
errorlevel = !i2c_write(170) | errorlevel; //Send the unlock code and track the error codes
errorlevel = !i2c_write(165) | errorlevel; //Send the unlock code and track the error codes
errorlevel = !i2c_write(newaddress) | errorlevel; //Send the new address
i2c_stop();
return errorlevel;
}

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Code Example: Read the sensor at the default address //
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
void read_the_sensor_example(){
boolean error = 0; //Create a bit to check for catch errors as needed.
int range;

//Take a range reading at the default address of 224
error = start_sensor(224); //Start the sensor and collect any error codes.
if (!error){ //If you had an error starting the sensor there is little point in reading it as you will get old data.
delay(100);
range = read_sensor(224); //reading the sensor will return an integer value – if this value is 0 there was an error
Serial.print(“R:”);Serial.println(range);
}
}

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Code Example: Poll all possible addresses to find a sensor //
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
void address_polling_example(){
int range = 0;
Serial.println(“Polling addresses…”);

//Walk through all possible addresses and check for a device that can receive the range command and will
// return two bytes.
for (byte i=2; i!=0; i+=2){ //start at 2 and count up by 2 until wrapping to 0. Checks all addresses (2-254) except 0 (which cannot be used by a device)
error = 0;
error = start_sensor(i); //Start the sensor and collect any error codes.
if (!error){ //If you had an error starting the sensor there is little point in reading it.
delay(100);
range = read_sensor(i); //reading the sensor will return an integer value – if this value is 0 there was an error
Serial.println(i);
if (range != 0){
Serial.print(“Device found at:”);Serial.print(i);Serial.print(" Reported value of:");Serial.println(range);
}
}
else{
Serial.print(“Couldn’t start:”);Serial.println(i);
}
}

Serial.println(“Address polling complete.”);
}

//////////////////////////////////////////////
// Code Example: Change the default address //
//////////////////////////////////////////////
void default_address_change_example(){
int range;

Serial.println(“Take a reading at the default address”);

//Take a range reading at the default address of 224
error = start_sensor(224); //Start the sensor and collect any error codes.
if (!error){ //If you had an error starting the sensor there is little point in reading it.
delay(100);
range = read_sensor(224); //reading the sensor will return an integer value – if this value is 0 there was an error
Serial.print(“R:”);Serial.println(range);
}

Serial.println(“Change the sensor at the default address to 222”);
//Change the address from 224 to 222
error = 0;
error = change_address(224,222); //Change the address – I don’t do anything with the error handler at this point but you can if you want.
delay(200); //Wait 125ms for the sensor to save the new address and reset

Serial.println(“Take a reading at the new address”);

//Take a range reading at the new address of 222
error = 0;
error = start_sensor(222); //Same as above but at the new address
if (!error){
delay(100);
range = read_sensor(222);
Serial.print(“N:”);Serial.println(range);
}

Serial.println(“Change the sensor back to the default address”);

//Change the address from 222 to 224
error = 0;
error = change_address(222,224);
delay(200); //Wait 125ms for the sensor to save the new address and reset
}

Ok looks pretty like mavbotics , so go ahead and change adress, I suggest you use lighware driver as oh support multiple address

It has these two codes, one named GY_US42_IIC and another GY_US42_SoftIIC(libraries: SoftI2CMaster.h, SoftWire.h)

OK thank you. As soon as the sensor arrives I will do the tests.

http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-lightware-sf10-lidar.html

Here what it says:
Address of lidar in decimal). Please note that this setting is in decimal and not hexadecimal as shown in the lidar settings screen. The default address is 0x66 which is 102 in decimal.

Yes. One thing that leaves me in doubt, is that after changing the address of the sensor and remove it from the arduino board, if it will not reset the address to default.

My sensors have arrived. But I’m having trouble compiling and reading. I’m using the Arduino Mega 2560, and the SCL and SDA pins are 21 and 20 respectively.

By default the code comes with this definition:
#define SCL_PIN 5
#define SCL_PORT PORTC
#define SDA_PIN 4
#define SDA_PORT PORTC
#define I2C_TIMEOUT 100

As soon as I change to ports 20 and 21, the code does not compile and displays error. Can you help me?

I suggest you use the Maxbotic examples as they are giving a lot of informations

https://www.maxbotix.com/articles/095.htm?_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpPHoBRC3ARIsALfx-_LRcqVT6BDgDc-G9ZnW1N9-FjJHxG1l3GWNkNgz8YpzSzrAabEjGnEaAqWNEALw_wcB

Finally I was able to change the address of the sensor. I looked at the arduino forum and found the solution. I will share with everyone so that anyone who wants to buy cheap I2C sensors can use multiple of them.

Code:

#include “Wire.h”
#define SensorAddress byte(0x70)
#define NewSensorAddress byte(0x68)
#define RangeCommand byte(0x51)
#define ChangeAddressCommand1 byte(0xAA)
#define ChangeAddressCommand2 byte(0xA5)
void setup() {
Serial.begin(9600); //Open serial connection at 9600 baud
Wire.begin();

changeAddress(SensorAddress,NewSensorAddress,1);
}
void loop(){
takeRangeReading(); //Tell the sensor to perform a ranging cycle
delay(100); //Wait for sensor to finish
word range = requestRange(); //Get the range from the sensor
Serial.print("Range: "); Serial.println(range); //Print to the user
}

//Commands the sensor to take a range reading
void takeRangeReading(){
Wire.beginTransmission(NewSensorAddress); //Start addressing
Wire.write(RangeCommand); //send range command
Wire.endTransmission(); //Stop and do something else now
}
//Returns the last range that the sensor determined in its last ranging cycle in centimeters. Returns 0 if there is no communication.
word requestRange(){
Wire.requestFrom(NewSensorAddress, byte(2));
if(Wire.available() >= 2){ //Sensor responded with the two bytes
byte HighByte = Wire.read(); //Read the high byte back
byte LowByte = Wire.read(); //Read the low byte back
word range = word(HighByte, LowByte); //Make a 16-bit word out of the two bytes for the range
return range;
}
else {
return word(0); //Else nothing was received, return 0
}
}
void changeAddress(byte oldAddress, byte newAddress, boolean SevenBitHuh){
Wire.beginTransmission(oldAddress); //Begin addressing
Wire.write(ChangeAddressCommand1); //Send first change address command
Wire.write(ChangeAddressCommand2); //Send second change address command
if(SevenBitHuh){ newAddress = newAddress << 1; } //The new address must be written to the sensor
Wire.write(newAddress); //Send the new address to change to
Wire.endTransmission();
}

2 Likes

Can you help me change the code to use multiple maxbotix sensors. I changed the addresses of each sensor. But I don’t know how to change the code so that it assigns the address I put in “RNGFND_ADDR”.

hi Lucas. I could change the address too, but the pix still getting just 1 sonar? Did you make work 2 or more sonars?

Bye!

MaxBotix driver has no parameters for address change, You can use LightWare I2C (Type 7) driver do accomplish this.
http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-lightware-sf10-lidar.html#i2c-connection

As noted in wiki, you need to map address in decimal , so 0x70= is 112 you must write in parameters for first RangeFinder and then you can use 0x68 = 110 for second unit and so on…

1 Like

Hi! Could you make more than 1 sensor work? Infact the idea of I2C is to connect a lot of devices, but the rangefinder configuration only acept 2 rngfnd and rngfnd2. How I suppose to connect 6 I2C sensor for example? thanks!

The sensor is not working when I select LightWare, only as Maxbotix.

You mentioned above that it might be necessary to change the lightware code to read. It is not necessary?

You need to change rangefinder address in parameters

I changed the address, but it didn’t work.

Hello lucas, i’m having the same issues as you do, did you manage to connect both sensors? for me i tried to use a lidar with a sonar sensor, if i use the lidar alone it works fine via uavcan, and if it is the sonar alone it works, but when i try to use both of them, i only get the lidar data on rngfnd1, and rngfnd2 is always 0 or 20
and in order to use multiple sensors of the same type, like yours, you have to change the adress of each sensor via arduino code, but first, you must find a solution for the rngfnd2 not displaying data, i’m stuck here unfortunatly

Hello,
I use GY-us42y2. Need to use in I2C with pixhawk.
Impossible to change sensor address. With arduino code, 222 or 224 address always came back.
Pixhawk need a 0 to 127 address.
How can I change it definitively?

hello, i have same problem. i want to set two GY-us42y2 in my drone, one of them bellow for landing and another front on my drone, but i don’t know how do this;
can you help me?
could you set this?
thanks alot.