Motor Shuts Off at 100pc Throttle

Hey all,

I have a rather strange problem in that when I apply throttle from 99pc -> 100pc, my motor stops spinning. As soon as I come down to 99pc, it starts back up again. This happens in both manual and auto modes (take off).

Im not sure if this is an Ardupilot issue or perhaps an ESC issue. What I have tried;

• Flashed ESC with latest version of BL Heli 32.
  • Tried a 4S Lipo battery (currently running 3S L-ion)
  • Turned off Low RPM in BL Heli
  • Changed from Dshot 150 to 300.
  • Removed the Prop.

Not sure what to try next, I wondered if anyone had any ideas?

The only workaround is to reduce change the offset on the transmitter to not output 100pc throttle and change THR_MAX to 99pc. Works now!

Should say I have Matek F765 and running latest master: ArduPlane V4.2.0dev (5de30cc7)

1 Like

A log would be useful to diagnose.

1 Like

Sure here is the link;

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XDCyTAROr2dfbvYR7xKT6KTp1OV_aDXn/view?usp=sharing

AP certainly thinks its outputting 100% throttle, I do notice your battery voltage takes quite the dive at full. 11.5 -> 9 that is a 20% drop. Maybe that is resetting the ESC or something.

1 Like

It’s weird, it does it with the prop off so there is no voltage sag in this scenario.

1 Like

Is the log you posted with or without the prop? Because it is pretty consistent, that every time the voltage sags below 9v, the current drops to it’s min value and the voltage recovers, suggesting the moment the motor is stopping. My guess is your ESC has a low voltage cut-off. Also, if your battery voltage is dropping that far that quick it’s probably worth trying a different battery.

1 Like

Hey Allister, the log I posted is with the prop on, but I have tried it with the prop off and it does the same thing. I can create this log for you if you wish to see it. Pulls about 2As at 99pc and there is hardly any voltage sag. Although it would seem the likely issue I do not think that is in this case. It also does it exactly at 100pc, if I go to 99, its fine. I would have thought voltage sag would have been a different ranges depending on how drained the battery is. Im flying it with Max Throttle set to 99pc and its fine. Something is happening at exactly 100pc throttle…I also tried to with another battery, a 4S instead of a 3S (which is what the log is running) and same thing.

Could there be any settings in Ardupilot that might cause this, any reverse motor setting or something similar that would cause it to suddenly stop @ 100pc? I’ve tried turning off all low voltage settings on the ESC also. hmmmm

2 Likes

I don’t think this is an AP issue. It is sending out the 2000us/100% signal to your ESC (Servo1) as demanded by the throttle input (RC3). But the current flow is pretty clear the motor is stopping.

I don’t know your ESC, but is it expecting 2000us or 1900us for 100%? Could just be a setup issue between your ESC and AP. What is your ESC’s max throttle setting?

1 Like

Here are my ESC settings

what protocol are you using? I remember getting a similar effect reading the sbus output with a micro. somthing was corrupting the packet at max rc input.
unfortunately i cant remember what i did to fix it, possibly recalibrated the rc?