Motor or ESC Problem?

I went to fly and one of the prop’s was not spinning as it should when it arms. Then flying did not work correctly or at all. I took the Quad apart and didn’t find much I found that the motor in question had some how lost the little Allen screw that I only assume secures it to the shaft. I replaced this but I am still seeing the issue.

Here is a video of the issue.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_LwHA45g0U[/youtube]

I Would love some help diagnosing the problem and resolving it so it can fly again.

[quote=“SkiGeek”]I went to fly and one of the prop’s was not spinning as it should when it arms. Then flying did not work correctly or at all. I took the Quad apart and didn’t find much I found that the motor in question had some how lost the little Allen screw that I only assume secures it to the shaft. I replaced this but I am still seeing the issue.

Here is a video of the issue.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_LwHA45g0U[/youtube]

I Would love some help diagnosing the problem and resolving it so it can fly again.[/quote]

Does it seem like its running smoothly once it starts to spool up? It seems like it is from the video.
Also can you post a data flash log of the incident? It may be some sort of calibration issue, for example ESC calibration may not be correct.

[quote=“cctaylor410”]
Does it seem like its running smoothly once it starts to spool up? It seems like it is from the video.
Also can you post a data flash log of the incident? It may be some sort of calibration issue, for example ESC calibration may not be correct.[/quote]

Visually it appears to smooth out but when I try to take off it lists forward and to the left. So it appears that the prop isn’t generating as much thrust.

I will try calibrating the esc again but I already did this once.

Do you have a data flash log you can upload? It sounds like you might have a bunch of trim or the radio calibration in the pixhawk isn’t correct and it thinks you are commanding that movement. A dataflash log will make it easy to determine if that’s the case.

I will try and find the direction for pulling those logs when I get home. If there is an easy guide on pulling them that would be great but I think I saw one video. Is this the same as the telemetry log?

Telemetry and data flash logs are different. Data flash logs are located on the autopilot. Here is guide for pulling them:
copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/downlo … n-planner/

You can skip the part about changing the log bit mask. Default is fine. If you do a quick arm and throttle up just a little (just before it wants to lift off) then shutdown and follow that procedure it will be the log with the highest number.

Thank you, very helpful, I will read it fully and post the logs.

Alright, I think I found it. In the process of looking through the Params to find the Log Setting I noticed that some of the fields were orange. I am guessing this is indicating a problem?

I tried to throttle up 3 times (I think) the third time got a little over zealous and ended up on its nose. The log is attached.

Really appreciating the help.

P.S. - I thing the picture in the instructions or at least the commentary for setting the log bitmask should indicate that it has moved to the advanced parameters section. (I couldn’t find it in the standard parameters section)

So I took a look at your log and for some reason the RC inputs are not being recorded but for some reason my Iris does right out of the box. But mine doesn’t have one of the standard drop down values for the log bit mask. Instead it has a custom value of 26622 entered in the Full Parameter List page (which seems to record rc inputs and attitude). So you will have to go type that number in or select Default + RCIN and pull the log after that.

Seeing that some of our parameters seem to be different right out of the box I started to compare a few other settings. I noticed you battery monitory was disable for some reason. It should definitely be enabled right out of the box. Did you happen to use the setup wizard, change any settings, or update the firmware? With battery monitoring disabled your Iris would not have triggered a failsafe when the battery gets low (10.5v) and you would likely crash.

Ok, I will look and give it a try. Would you recommend loading a default IRIS parameter file? I see the option in APM 2.0 and found something similar in this thread. http://ardupilot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=6375&p=12125&hilit=Default+Param#p12125

I am going to update the parameters from the IRIS Default. Here are the changes that will be made. I will test after work today.

[attachment=0]Parameters.png[/attachment]

I did perform a flash after having the initial issue then performed the ESC calibration. I entered the wizard but got to the sensor question and never finished. I thought (was guessing) that the wizard didn’t write the settings to the device till the final step.

Check to make sure your frame is set to 2 (V type) not 1 (x type)

@LouBnyc - Yes, it is set to V.

@CCTaylor410 - I tested again and promptly crashed forward on the nose/back again. didn’t even get off the ground. I found the stick super sensitive after reloading the default parameters guess you need to calibrate the ESC after loading the defaults. I will take the props off and do that but in the mean time here is the log.

looked over your log and I can’t find anything obvious, but I’m not an expert at reading logs. You’re RC inputs seem to match your trim values so you’re not accidentally commanding a roll. What I don’t get is why your log does not contain the desired pitch or roll, just the actual pitch and roll. My logs with the same bit mask show desired. I was hoping to see if there was something commanding a change in pitch/roll but without that I can’t tell. If the ESC cal does not work (your doing a cal of all at the same time right?) I’m not sure where to look from there. Hopefully someone with more insight can help.

Thanks for your help. I took the props off calibrated the ESC’s again. I put the prop on the one motor in question and held it on the floor armed and and throttled up and heard a weird noise from the motor, almost like it was stuttering.

I have ordered a couple replacement motors even if it is not the motor never hurts to have a replacement or too on hand.

I will keep experimenting, is there some log settings that I should change for better troubleshooting?

[quote=“SkiGeek”]Thanks for your help. I took the props off calibrated the ESC’s again. I put the prop on the one motor in question and held it on the floor armed and and throttled up and heard a weird noise from the motor, almost like it was stuttering.

I have ordered a couple replacement motors even if it is not the motor never hurts to have a replacement or too on hand.

I will keep experimenting, is there some log settings that I should change for better troubleshooting?[/quote]

That log looked better from the standpoint that the signal sent to each motor was the same as you throttled up, unlike your previous log. It sounds like you may have a bad ESC though. It’s possible it is the motor but kind of sounds like the timing might be out of wack. Hopefully a new motor solves your problem.

Ok, so I have had some time off and gotten a chance to resolve the issue. There were a lot of complexities along the way from my corporate laptop (or image of Win 8.1) not hooking up to the 3DR telemetry correctly to the few improvements that came out, but I believe I finally isolated the problem.

After Updating the firmware, moving the pixhawk, then re-calibrating the compass, the axis, and the ESC, I was still seeing the same issue with the left front motor. I decided to then change the screws out on the motor and while trying to thread in the new screws I had one in the left front that wouldn’t start. I pulled the motor out further so I could look at it and noticed two things.

1. The thread whole had been cross thread at some time
  2. At some point a screw had been thread into the air slot rather than the screw whole.

I think it was the second one that caused the problem as this could have possibly damaged the internals of the motor.

I replaced the motor after which was able to go out and hover around a bit. I will hopefully take it out to a bigger field soon and do some more calibrations and hopefully be fully up and flying again.

So the answer is Motor.