tl;dr This started as what I thought was a possible power issue; then chased it as an ESC Sync issue; back to power issue; and ended with me using a different setup.
Before I turn this into an issue on GitHub wanted to make sure I am not missing something. There is a reported issue with ESC Sync that is addressed in 4.0.2RC3 but it seems to deal with IO timing and the Kakute does not have IOMCU. That issue is here:
- 300mm wheelbase
- Luminier 2000kv 14pole motors with 6in props on 3S
- Kakute F7 w/ AC4.0.1
- Tekko32 4in1 w/ ESC Telem and DShot150
- HolyBro Mini GPS
- Default PIDS w/ changes to enable HNTCH per wiki
- Also changed params per Tuning Setup Process Wiki
- Went through about a dozen props, lots of solder and two sets of ESC’s before I updated BLHeli firmware from 32.6 to 32.7 and changed SCHED_LOOP_Rate from 400 to 800.
- Prior to those changes motors would randomly cutout if I pushed even a little hard. Logs showed ESC telem voltage going to 0 on one or more ESC just before actual and desired roll/pitch diverged.
- After changes to main loop rate and updated BLHeli the thing flew great. No problems with althold or loiter. Really smooth considering it was not tuned. So I went for autotune of pitch and roll.
- A few minutes into AutoTune the motors cut out again;it flipped; and this time had enough altitude to recover. I switched back to loiter and landed.
- Logs again show ESC telem voltage headed to 0 but this time they recover.
It seems like it has to do with ESC Sync but I am out of ideas. Any help appreciated. Here’s the param and logs from the autotune that had the uncommanded flip:
I am willing to try 4.0.2RC3 if there has been a fixed submitted that is related. I could not tell since the issue above was closed without reference to a commit.