Motor failure and unstable flight. Help understanding .BIN

Hello All, I am having an issue with stability and random movements. I do not understand what I am looking at in the logs. Does anyone have the time to teach me what the log is saying. Thank you for your help

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hf6Z-iOxhOowUR76rSWQPN9Jfo_Kxp_p/view?usp=sharing

If you remove the access requirement in the link!

sorry. I am new

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hf6Z-iOxhOowUR76rSWQPN9Jfo_Kxp_p/view?usp=sharing

Let’s start with what won’t work.
You won’t get Dshot on the Main Outputs of a Pixhawk. You have to use the Aux outputs and re-assign the motors accordingly starting with SERVO9_FUNCTION (Aux 1).
Dshot1200 is not reliable, set it to Dshot600.
Set this back to default (0) SERVO_BLH_OTYPE
Set this to 1 or 2 depending on whether you have BLHeli32 or BLHeli_S ESC’s
SERVO_DSHOT_ESC

The motor outputs are oscillating badly but fix the above stuff 1st and then make a simple hover flight in AltHold for a minute or so. You will need to configure the Dynamic Notch Filter so set INS_LOG_BAT_MASK to (1) before doing the flight. Then post that log.

Describe the components on this craft and the take-off-weight (with battery).

1 Like

That was a crazy flight. I made the changes and it flew but was surging like mad. I had to switch to stable because it was not controllable. The quad is a 500 frame, Pixhawk 2.4.8, SunnySky 2212-980, 3S, 35A BLheli32 ESC, dual gps, 10" props, 1495g with battery, 5500mah…

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O2ibg3klv1eQbs-D-9P06iyXctq3kBck/view?usp=sharing

Thank you for your help, really appreciated!!

i forgot to change the ins_log_bat_mask to 1.

I’m thinking now that you have me going in the right direction I should just start fresh. Flash the firmware and start over?

I just saw you are from Michigan also. Cool. Small world. I’m in the Grand Rapids area.

I was going to suggest that because that’s a standard kit that should fly on default+ Initial Setup parameters. Maybe not well but not like this:

You should connect ESC telemetry also as it will be helpful with the Notch filter.

Yes, in the Ann Arbor area!

Just an update. I did a pass through connection to blheli suite and found that the ESC were out of sync from the master. I flashed and reset all the ESC and am setting them up again. I hope this was my problem. :crossed_fingers:

This may have no impact depending on what was out of sync.

Well I thought I would try you before making a new post. My pixhawk just died. I do not know why. Possibly a shorted safety switch. I have tried reflashing firmware. Holding a new switch while booting. No luck. It can not write to the FC. Any ideas?

Try flashing using QGroundControl. Selecting Arducopter chibios and the board. I don’t use Safety Switches.

This actually got me somewhere. So now my board beeps and the RGB LED lights but when I try to calibrate the radio it will not let me. From reading it seems like the I/O controls the radio outputs? Which is on a different FMU? When I go back to mission planner and flash the firmware the board goes back to being dead. Thoughts? Thanks again for your help

The I/O processor produces the Main Motor outputs.

That seems to be my problem. I tried resetting the IO but no go. Is it possible to test the IO portion?

Would that make sense because of all the oscillation you pointed out?

Not that I know of. For ~$100 you could replace it with a Matek H743-Wing V3 with the latest and greatest hardware :slight_smile:

Hard to say as that oscillation signature is common with poorly tuned craft. We see it several times a week.

Possibly a GPS issue lurking as well…your original log shows numerous variations in the number of sats locked, along with big hdop swings…I mention this as I have a poor GNSS sky, and ‘GPS glitches’ have masked other issues. I had a partial flyaway when switching modes to Loiter from Althold. Quad shot off at 90 degrees from the course
and shot up, saved it with Stability mode & landed…just a FYI… GL!!

1 Like

Looks like I am getting a new FC. The board you recommended, will that be good for a 500 class camera drone? It looks nice. So it is a good replacement for a PX4? I am not going to waste anymore time on this pixhawk. Thanks again!