Mission planning questions

maybe it’s an Aussie thing…

I’m surely not the first person to mention this, but I sure wish there were common unit values/decimals across and throughout Mission Planner…really seems like accidents waiting to happen, esp for new people, with all the variation, not to mention the wasted brain power needed to keep track of it. I have plenty of other issues with MP/Arducopter I’m always worried about or wondering about. :slight_smile:

Bill

2 Likes

I agree with you. Actually there should be a global setting where user can either select metric or Imperial and software adjusts itself…hmm I am asking for too much here.

The full parameter list is always in raw units, that’s not going to change. Those units are shown in the description for the parameter in the list. That’s the reference The parameter discussed in this thread, WP Speed, is shown as cm/s in the full parameter list. What shows in the Custom screens is scaled and how it’s scaled is based on the individual parameter.

There is a setting for metric/imperial units on the Config>Planner screen but it’s not going to change the raw units. The wise choice is to keep the units in metric terms so everything jives but personal choice.

Thanks Dave…

Well…I guess I’d say if the raw units are the problem, then maybe THEY should change.

There just shouldn’t be confusions of decimal places and units, etc, BUILT IN to the operating system. I hear what you are saying in that the explanation is right there next to the parameter, and yes, even semi-intelligent people ought to be able to figure that out. :slight_smile:

But yeesh…didn’t someone crash a megadollar probe into Mars a few years ago because of some sort of units/translation error that went unnoticed?

Anyway I just think there are certain good operating/design practices, and one of them is to eliminate as many error-prone issues as possible at the lowest possible levels. And units/decimals is definitely one of those. And yeah, I know that’s easy for me to say being someone who isn’t putting any time into the project, and/or am someone who probably doesn’t understand some fundamental issue at play here.

My 2 cents.

Thanks again.

1 Like