Minimum OSD & PixHawk 2.4.8 Step by Step Guide

Minimum OSD Step by Step setup Guide with PixHawk 2.4.8

Why Not, I got fed up watching piece part data all over the place.

I hope this helps others.

• Did you like it?
  • Want more such videos?

0 voters

Not a bad video, but you missed some things.

First off you should have opened the cases so your viewers could see EXACTLY what you are working with.

Second, you should have included the steps necessary to do the “RC Timer +5 volt mod”. This mod does away with the onboard +12 to +5 volt regulator so the digital and the analog portions of the device are powered from the same +5 volt source. This has a huge impact on board temperature… This mod also takes some of the +5 volt load off of the +5 volt regulator in the power monitor which significantly reduces the likelihood of a +5 volt brownout induced crash.

Third, in line with doing the +5 volt mod, you should have included a recommendation to power the OSD from a separate +5 volt source/BEC as well as placing an LC filter between the +5 volts and the OSD. This will prevent loss of video on throttle up and will tend to “clean up” the video by filtering out RFI from the ESCs.

Fourth, the firmware you are using is older than dirt and you have to jump through too many hoops to get it compiled, flashed, and configured. BTDT. A much better option is MWOSD. This is multi-platform code with a specific build for Pixhawk.

Firmware flashing and configuration is GUI based. Firmware is precompiled so all you have to do is download and flash. OSD element placement is a simple matter of enabling the element and then dragging and dropping it where you want it.

There are a couple of caveats:

1. The MWOSD firmware is free, but the GUI is not, but at 1.99 pounds Sterling, its not a bad deal.
  2. The GUI uses a MavLink ID to keep track of multiple OSDs. So, if you have more than one OSD, you need to give each one a separate ID.

And last but not least, there is another OSD available:

AeromaxOSD

1 Like

Hello Old Gazer,

Thanks for your feedback. I strictly made this video to get newbies off the ground. It takes a lot of patience for them to watch a 30 minute video :slight_smile:

Opening up the case would confuse those who don’t have basic electronics knowledge. I have provided the link in the description which takes them to next level of +5V mod when they are ready. I may consider making a part 2 of this video if see any further interest out there.

there is no shortage of OSD in the market. You can use Hobby Kind Excellence OSD ( I have video of that one already), there is vector OSD and list goes. Minimum OSD is popular choice out there for kids as a starter. Hopefully, they will benefit from it.

All your suggestions are valid, but my primary focus of the video is get the new user make it work the first time so they can feel confident about going to the next level.

You’re welcome. Its about time something like this was done.

Yes, there are numerous OSDs available, but one thing I would recommend (at least in this context) is to limit your videos to those that are supported by ArduPilot. This would naturally exclude the Excellence, Vector, DJI, and Tarot OSDs.

With that being said, I know of 4 OSDs that are supported by ArduPilot, namely the MinimOSD, the MavLink OSD (which is very similar to the original Minim), the Micro MinimOSD, and the Virtual Pilot AeroMax OSD.

All of these OSDs will run any of the “older” ArduCam firmware variants, but what really makes them shine is MWOSD.

I went down the ArcuCam road and I found the entire process to be overly complex in that one had to “learn” and use Arduino. With MWOSD, the firmware is precompiled, flashing is straight forward, and configuration is MUCH easier. For a beginner this is a win-win situation.

@OldGazer - May be I will put together part 2 sometime soon. keep the comments coming.

Unfortunately I know zip point nothing about the ArduPlane firmware. At first glance I would suspect that you have misconfigured Servo3_Function. http://ardupilot.org/plane/docs/guide-four-channel-plane.html.

With that said, you just posted your issue today, so give it a little time.