MinimOSD and ImmersionRC VRx not displaying overlay

Just a quick note in case you have problems displaying the OSD overlay when using an ImmersionRC 5.8 GHz diversity v1 VRx (and maybe also other brands).

My MinimOSD was displaying the video image but the overlay was not shown. A direct camera feed of the video signal or no signal at all was OK, only over the air was not working. I found out that the video signal coming from the VRx was too high peak-peak. A simple resistor of 150 Ohm (internal terminator R of 75 Ohm should already be in the Vin circuit) in series with the Vin signal wire makes the signal drop enough and the OSD overlay shows stable over the video image. Any value lower than 150 Ohm makes the overlay flicker and higher values attenuate too much.

Thought this might be the answer to my problem with minimOSD which is exactly the same symptoms.

The OSD transmits the HUD fine on it’s own.
The camera, a KX-6 from Rangevideo, 1/3inch 470 PAL, works great on it’s own.

But with the camera plugged into the OSD all I get is the video image, no hint of OSD.

I have spent days tracking down possible causes, until I accidentally pulled the camera while powered up and the HUD appeared. Plugged the camera back in and the HUD stays.

So it appears that if this camera is plugged in at boot up the minimOSD fails to boot.

I followed your tip with the resistor to attenuate signal but to no avail. If their is any video signal the OSD does not boot.

So please, if anyone has ANY ideas on what to try next I would be grateful.

I have tried other cameras of lesser resolution and they work fine, ie: the KX171, with no delay in the OSD booting. But the higher res KX-6 stops the OSD dead in it’s tracks.
I have done all the updates to the latest firmware and character sets (2.2)

Just to correct my assumptions in the previous post, it seems the OSD DOES boot but will not overlay the video signal.
I verified this by pulling the video cable off and the HUD was there immediately, fully formed and functional.
So the OSD is working but failing to overlay the HUD on the video signal.

[quote=“arachnida”]Just a quick note in case you have problems displaying the OSD overlay when using an ImmersionRC 5.8 GHz diversity v1 VRx (and maybe also other brands).

My MinimOSD was displaying the video image but the overlay was not shown. A direct camera feed of the video signal or no signal at all was OK, only over the air was not working. I found out that the video signal coming from the VRx was too high peak-peak. A simple resistor of 150 Ohm (internal terminator R of 75 Ohm should already be in the Vin circuit) in series with the Vin signal wire makes the signal drop enough and the OSD overlay shows stable over the video image. Any value lower than 150 Ohm makes the overlay flicker and higher values attenuate too much.[/quote]
Very interesting. Where exactly did you put the resistor?