Matek 765 flight controller

Hello i am coming back to adrupilot after a long time away, I wish to fly traditional helicopter with a flight controller i purchased a Matek 765 wing board the matek web site had a link to the heli firmware i have downloaded it and and installed it on the 765 board but now i am totally confused i have been reading and watching the video’s on the setup but i find that the setup video’s don’t coincide with the 4.0 firmware and the 765 Matek board is this the wrong board to start with or is the firmware not released for this board and traditional heli yet.
thanks in advance for your response

Moved to the Trade Heli thread.

Please post a parameter file. That would be the best way for us to determine the problem. Thanks!

Thanks for the reply as i stated in my post just trying to get back into adrupilot not sure what your asking for in regards to parameter file i am working just on the setup as in the adrupilot video’s # 1 are these video’s just for the Pixhawk?
I have the motor running but once it starts i can’t shut it down, also i have the elevator and aileron servo’s working but no pitch servo operation i am running this on an Align 450 or trying to sorry if my original post was in the wrong place.

Dennis, are you using the traditional helicopter set up guide?

What ground control station are you using? Mission Planner or Qgroundcontrol?

Hi Bill thank you for your response i am using traditional helicopter and Qground control yes i am on the first setup guide and using the 4.0 firmware the video’s on you tube state it is 3.5 i looked to see if i could load that version of firmware I found that it dose not support the Matek 765 board my guess is in the video although i didn’t hear anything he is setting up a Pixhawk board am i looking in all the wrong places many thanks for your help

Dennis,
The video’s are great and yes they are somewhat outdated but still contain a lot of good information even though the parameters have changed somewhat. I would suggest watching the videos and then reading through the traditional helicopter set up wiki. I have recently updated this wiki with the latest parameters that are used in 4.0. I haven’t had time to update the videos.

As far as the board you have selected, I am not familiar with the Matek boards. It looks like for your board there will be somewhat of a unique setup for ardupilot and you may not be able to use the default settings in the heli firmware. specifically with the motor being assigned to S1 or S2 on the board. I’m assuming this is ardupilots SERVO1 and SERVO2 channels. I will help you as best I can.

In QGround Control there should be a place where you can save the parameters. Go to the settings page and on the left you will see parameters at the bottom. Click that and then on the upper right side of the parameters page you will see tools. click on tools and then select save to file. Save the parameters and then post here.

You want Arducopter 4.0.3 for Trade Heli (latest stable). Using QGC:

QGC MatekF765-Wing

servo 1 is the ESC throttle in the video states that the throttle is on channel 8 ? don’t understand how this work’s unless i assign my throttle stick to that channel i presently have channel 8 set to a 3 position switch doing this allowed me to actuate the esc and get throttle response but once it starts up i can’t shut the motor down so i have the following servos setup this way servo 1 aileron servo 2 elevator no matter which channel i plug the pitch servo in i don’t get any operation just jitters, when i plug all the servos directly into the receiver they all work correctly again many thanks for the help and response

Hi Dave thanks i will download this version and see how it goes thanks for the help.

Bill i saved the parameter file but the forum won’t accept it for upload or paste file

Hi Dave
Just checked my version and it is 4.0.3 thanks is there a parameter in Qground controller to select a specific board i did not see one.

Dennis,
please read this on the connections and follow up with questions. Just keep in mind that the flight controller separates RC inputs (RCX parameters) from the Servo outputs (SERVOX parameters). These are not tied together and can be assigned. So you should not have to touch your RC input parameters. The SERVO output is what you will have to change according to the outputs of your flight controller. One more note about the RC Transmitter, you should not use the heli model in your transmitter. Set it to a plane model. Reason being is that the flight controller firmware is designed to do the functions of the transmitter heli model (CCPM, throttle curves…). there are some limitations compared to the capabilities of the transmitter like ardupilot doesn’t support idle ups. But once you learn more about the firmware then you can go back and use heli model in your transmitter to provide some additional capability if you desire. When and if you ever do, the thing I see most folks use on their transmitter is modification of pitch curves. Never try to use the transmitter CCPM or throttle curve capabilities as it will cause your aircraft to crash if you use autonomous modes. The flight controller must have control over these.

Hi Dennis-If you are on 4.0.3 you are good. That’s latest Stable. But QGC should Autodetect the board.

Hi Bill i zipped the file and the system allowed me to upload it here it is

765.zip (6.9 KB)

Dave
QGC i think see’s the board but comes on to say there are faults no doubt since i don’t have the system configured

Bill
Don’t use heli in my TX would not have thought of that my TX is frysky horus x10 if this makes a difference i have the TX set to Heli 1 no mix is this okay

I would prefer you use an airplane setup in your transmitter. It ensures that there are no underlying mixes that we don’t want. The throttle joystick on the transmitter will control collective. Turn off any throttle setting that may be used for gas engines. For now your transmitter is only a set of joysticks to the flight controller. You’ll use a few switches, one for flight modes which defaults to channel 5 of the transmitter and the other is to control the motor interlock (turn the motor on and off). That defaults to channel 8 of the transmitter. Don’t mess with joystick trims either, keep them centered. All trimming is done within the flight controller. And the flight controller learns the trim positions of the RC transmitter when you do the RC calibration.

Bill okay i will redo the setup for my heli to airplane.

Hi Guy’s so i set my TX to airplane mode and found that it would not mix pitch control so i set it back to heli-1 no mixing then went on to try and assign the RC mapping to work with the flight controller servo output when i try to assign a servo to say rudder or yaw the flight controller has no output any longer on the servo pins going back to the default setup which is motor 1-6 i have throttle on sc1 and sc2 i i have rudder on sc3 and elevator on sc4 no other output’s from any of the servos output pin’s also in contacting other’s i have found they state that the matek 765 board will not work at this time for helicopter if so then why is there firmware for this board.