Manual Flaps APM 2.6

Hi, I have an APM 2.6 and after reading the wiki etc. I have discovered that I must specify a specific channel to control flaps manually using the “FLAP_IN_CHANNEL” parameter however I cannot see this in the parameter list.

Do I have to set other parameters before this one appears? Note: I can use auto_flaps.

I have updated the firmware and mission planner to the latest version and have even used the beta to see if it would appear there, it didn’t.

Is this a deprecated parameter?

[quote=“rtsjoe”]Hi, I have an APM 2.6 and after reading the wiki etc. I have discovered that I must specify a specific channel to control flaps manually using the “FLAP_IN_CHANNEL” parameter however I cannot see this in the parameter list.

Do I have to set other parameters before this one appears? Note: I can use auto_flaps.

I have updated the firmware and mission planner to the latest version and have even used the beta to see if it would appear there, it didn’t.

Is this a deprecated parameter?[/quote]

Set RC#_FUNCTION to 1 (RCPassThru)

I am currently investigating the addition of drag devices to TECS, which would use flaps to provide drag in descents, but would not use flaps to change the stall speed of the aircraft. It could still deploy flaps on a demanded or measured airspeed schedule.

That would be great! I have been using flaps manually through RC for this reason. I need them as a drag device to steepen the descent path.
I would also like to be able to preprogram them over a waypoint so they are down for the approach to landing. It would be really cool if they could automatically retract halfway in the event of a go-around, like throttle above 60%.

I use my Taranis to do this now, along with verbal alerts.

[quote=“iskess”]That would be great! I have been using flaps manually through RC for this reason. I need them as a drag device to steepen the descent path.
I would also like to be able to preprogram them over a waypoint so they are down for the approach to landing. It would be really cool if they could automatically retract halfway in the event of a go-around, like throttle above 60%.

I use my Taranis to do this now, along with verbal alerts.[/quote]

Well, if TECS was in control, it would retract them as soon as the energy demand increases.

I just wanted the flaps locked down for landing approach. I don’t want TECS raising and lowering the flaps on final approach as it hits wind shear or whatever. I want to force the flaps down at a waypoint.

I changed the RC_Function of both of my outputs (I don’t know why I didn’t think of that.) Is there a way to get both of my Flaps to get their input from the same input channel? With this setup I can only control one flap. :angry:

Thank you for your speedy responses, additional autonomy for flaps sound like a great idea.

Put them on a splitter or mix it in your radio.

1. If I use a splitter the flaps will not work in tandem (one will go up and one will go down) I can’t simply flip the servo round on one of the wings due to the way my servos are mounted.

2. My 35Mhz radio doesn’t allow for mixing.

I don’t understand why the wiki seems to suggest that there’s a parameter (FLAP_IN_CHANNEL) for specifying flap input.

I can control my two ailerons by using:
RC7_FUNCTION = 4
RC8_FUNCTION = 4
RCMAP_ROLL = 2

Why can’t I do this with flaps!? :imp:

Actually thinking about it I could use a splitter from the RC to two of the inputs (CH5 & CH6) and then set: RC5_FUNCTION = 1 (RCPassThru)
RC5_REV = -1
RC6_FUNCTION = 1 (RCPassThru)
RC6_REV = 1

I’ll try that and report back later, thank you everyone! Hopefully this will work.

1. If I use a splitter the flaps will not work in tandem (one will go up and one will go down) I can’t simply flip the servo round on one of the wings due to the way my servos are mounted.

2. My 35Mhz radio doesn’t allow for mixing.

I don’t understand why the wiki seems to suggest that there’s a parameter (FLAP_IN_CHANNEL) for specifying flap input.

I can control my two ailerons by using:
RC7_FUNCTION = 4
RC8_FUNCTION = 4
RCMAP_ROLL = 2

Why can’t I do this with flaps!? :imp:

Actually thinking about it I could use a splitter from the RC to two of the inputs (CH5 & CH6) and then set: RC5_FUNCTION = 1 (RCPassThru)
RC5_REV = -1
RC6_FUNCTION = 1 (RCPassThru)
RC6_REV = 1

I’ll try that and report back later, thank you everyone! Hopefully this will work.[/quote]
Ah. I see. That is something of a predicament. I don’t think setting the RC#_REV will work, but it may.

Okay I have it working now. What I’ve done isn’t obvious so I thought I’d share my solution incase anyone else runs into this problem.

Since my RC setup (Transmitter: RD-8000 Receiver: RX-851) has a fixed channel for flaps I bought a servo splitter and plugged the two ends into the APM on channels 5 and 6 with their functions set to “flaps_auto”.

RC5_FUNCTION = 3 (flaps_auto)
RC5_REV = -1
RC6_FUNCTION = 1 (flaps_auto)
RC6_REV = 1

Unfortunately the parameters above don’t reverse the servos unless they are set to ailerons. :smiling_imp:

So I took apart the servos and reversed wiring.

To do this swap the wires on the motor inside the servo around then swap the two outer wires on the potentiometer around. I found this soldering very difficult.

Anyway thankyou for your help.