Loiter: Strong changes of roll and throttle

First of all I would like to give my thanks to the developers of this marvelous piece of software. I installed it on a Bixler 2 and used some of the suggested PID on the official webpage and it flies like on rails. Never seen this from a feiyu.

I know I still have to go through the full tuning guide, but nevertheless maybe you can help me to identify the relevant parameters for the Looter behavior:

Switching on Loiter on a mildly windy day is like driving a rollercoaster. I do get circles, but the plane is going in a sharp rollof 45 degree, full throttle as if it wants to crash, than starts to go back to zero roll and very little throttle etc. I get always a heartattack in the moments when it goes into the 45 degree and full throttle moments. I would like to see a more moderate behavior like in the feiyu, so that I get 22 degree roll and a more moderate throttle behaviour, so that loiter is much more relexed and does not go to the limits of the system,

[quote=“multiblitz”]First of all I would like to give my thanks to the developers of this marvelous piece of software. I installed it on a Bixler 2 and used some of the suggested PID on the official webpage and it flies like on rails. Never seen this from a feiyu.

I know I still have to go through the full tuning guide, but nevertheless maybe you can help me to identify the relevant parameters for the Looter behavior:

Switching on Loiter on a mildly windy day is like driving a rollercoaster. I do get circles, but the plane is going in a sharp rollof 45 degree, full throttle as if it wants to crash, than starts to go back to zero roll and very little throttle etc. I get always a heartattack in the moments when it goes into the 45 degree and full throttle moments. I would like to see a more moderate behavior like in the feiyu, so that I get 22 degree roll and a more moderate throttle behaviour, so that loiter is much more relexed and does not go to the limits of the system,[/quote]

Well, first off, the throttle behavior is dependent on TECS tuning. If you follow the TECS tuning guide in the wiki, which gives instructions on measuring climb rate and such in order to estimate the power output of your motor, you’ll have better results with TECS.

You may also need to reduce the roll to throttle gain in TECS. In addition, some radios can introduce acceleration demand noise with THROTTLE_NUDGE on, as shown by another user recently. I recommend you try with THROTTLE_NUDGE off, and tune TECS.

As for the roll behavior, the plane is going to bank at whatever angle you set in order to track its desired path. If you need it to bank less, set a lower limit.