Is there an updated Wiki or How To Configure/Compile?

I see a lot of posts asking about how to configure a compiler for APM Code, but no clear answers.
The only reference I can find is “We don’t use Arduino anymore, use Eclipse

Reading this tells me that I’m wasting my time reading the Wiki at:
[color=#0000FF]http://dev.ardupilot.com/wiki/building-the-code/building-ardupilot-apm-with-visual-studio-visual-micro/ [/color]
It tells me that Arduino is a requirement, but there’s no way to make it work anymore. :frowning:

Is there an updated Thread / Post / Wiki / Web Page that explains the new way to compile ArduPilot including what needs to be installed? :slight_smile:

I also would like to know!! It seems that there aren’t many guide or tutorial on how to actually code this thing.

Can anyone please post a link to a site where we can get some help setting up the compiler for ArduPilot?

The Wiki Setup Page is outdated and just plain wrong.
It says to come here for Help, but this seems to be a place only for those that already have the Compiler configured to run this code.

There must be someplace where people are willing to help. :smiley:

Also, don’t waste your time trying to get this to compile with Eclipse, the Wiki instructions for Eclipse don’t work either.

There’s a ton of unanswered posts about the errors spit out when you follow the Wiki.
It appears there is no way to learn how to compile any APM code anymore :frowning:

Well the codes on GitHub is constantly being updated. So I guess people are still using them.

you are asking about Eclipse, but linking to visual studio ?
Anyway.
Most developers use Eclipse on Linux, and it works fine. I have installed set it up on three different computers, and it works just fine.
building using make , but occasionally from GUI in eclipse too.

[quote=“Andre-K”]you are asking about Eclipse, but linking to visual studio ?
Anyway.
Most developers use Eclipse on Linux, and it works fine. I have installed set it up on three different computers, and it works just fine.
building using make , but occasionally from GUI in eclipse too.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply.

When I and many other people asked about using the Wiki Instructions for Visual Studio, the only answer we get back is Visual doesn’t work and to use Eclipse.

When we follow the Instructions for Windows based Eclipse, it doesn’t work either.

So I guess the answer is: The only way to compile APM Code is to setup Linux and use Linux Eclipse.

It’s kinda sad that everyone has abandoned updating the Wiki and it’s so outdated that no one new can setup a Windows box anymore. :frowning:

I’m going to keep plugging at it and if I finally get either Windows Eclipse, Visual Studio or Atmel Studio to compile again, I’ll make a post and tell everyone how to do it! :slight_smile:
(It used to work for me a year or so back…)

OK, FYI to those that are trying to follow the Windows/Eclipse Wiki:

In the Title:
Create a Project for the ArduPilot Mega Code
Ignore Steps #8 through #13
Just leave it as is.
If you do what it says and set it to apm2, you will get a “/bin/sh: g: command not found” error

Doing this has allowed me to get almost compiled code from this.

I get all the .O and .H’s created fine, but still an error
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [/tmp/ArduCopter.build/ArduCopter.elf] Error 1created

This is a lot closer to being compiled than using any method mentioned on the Wiki…

One other thing that the Wiki fails to tell you:

You MUST have a fully functional cygwin or cygwin64 installed, working and in your Path in order to use Eclipse.

This is not mentioned anywhere on the Wiki…

Solo-pilot

Thank you for trying and offing advise to others.

Don’t expect much help here.
Most of the people on this board are product developers that sell this for big dollars to the consumer and business market and have a huge stake in not letting ‘newbies’ make any changes that might cause them problems.

This is why you and other peoples are being ignored. your best bet is to try a live IRC channel where there are friendly people to help you in real time. ask a question-get an answer-done!
If you like, I can sent to you a private message telling you some good IRC channels to join on EFNET.

[quote=“Solo_Pilot”][quote=“Andre-K”]you are asking about Eclipse, but linking to visual studio ?
Anyway.
building using make , but occasionally from GUI in eclipse too.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply.

When I and many other people asked about using the Wiki Instructions for Visual Studio, the only answer we get back is Visual doesn’t work and to use Eclipse.

When we follow the Instructions for Windows based Eclipse, it doesn’t work either.

So I guess the answer is: The only way to compile APM Code is to setup Linux and use Linux Eclipse.

It’s kinda sad that everyone has abandoned updating the Wiki and it’s so outdated that no one new can setup a Windows box anymore. :frowning:

I’m going to keep plugging at it and if I finally get either Windows Eclipse, Visual Studio or Atmel Studio to compile again, I’ll make a post and tell everyone how to do it! :slight_smile:
(It used to work for me a year or so back…)[/quote]

That’s great!! I will keep checking in, please keep us posted about your progress. I am sure many people are interested to know how to compile the codes.

Here’s what worked for me:

[size=150]Compiling the standard ArduPilot with Windows Eclipse.[/size]

Install Cygwin or Cygwin64

Follow the Instructions as outlined below using this Wiki: http://dev.ardupilot.com/wiki/building-the-code/building-with-eclipse/#current_status

Start by following the Instructions under the heading Installing Eclipse with CDT – all Steps
Then Skip down to Create the Workspace and follow all Steps

Next is:
Create a Project for the ArduPilot Mega Code
Important change here!
Follow up to Step #4 then:

When you get to the point where you are browsing for Existing Code, select Cygwin GCC as the ToolChain before you select the folder with ArduPilot and press OK

Also in this heading on Step #8 it is VERY IMPORTANT that you type EXACTLY the name of the module you want to compile.
If it’s not EXACTLY as spelled in the list on Eclipse’s left side of the screen below ArduPilot[ardupilot master], it will not compile!

On the example shown on the Wiki, it is misspelled and says:
"For example, change ${workspace_loc:/ardupilot-master} to ${workspace_loc:/ardupilot-master/Plane}."
That would not work as there is no Module named just Plane!

It should have said:
For example, change ${workspace_loc:/ardupilot-master} to ${workspace_loc:/ardupilot-master/ArduPlane}.

[size=150]Also Important: [/size]Skip Steps 9 through 12, where it tells you to change All to apm2

If you do this like I outlined, and you type ArduPlane for Step#8 above then follow Building the ArduPilot Project you should see something in the console window like:

make all // BUILDROOT=/tmp/ArduPlane.build HAL_BOARD=HAL_BOARD_SITL HAL_BOARD_SUBTYPE=HAL_BOARD_SUBTYPE_NONE TOOLCHAIN=NATIVE EXTRAFLAGS=-DGIT_VERSION="8225e584" %% test.o %% commands.o %% climb_rate.o %% sensors.o %% Log.o %% radio.o %% system.o %% navigation.o %% arming_checks.o %% takeoff.o %% GCS_Mavlink.o %% commands_process.o %% failsafe.o %% geofence.o %% px4_mixer.o %% Plane.o %% Parameters.o %% altitude.o %% commands_logic.o %% setup.o %% Attitude.o %% ArduPlane.o %% events.o %% landing.o %% control_modes.o %% libraries/AP_HAL/Util.o %% libraries/AP_HAL/UARTDriver.o .. .. [i][b]<snip to save space>[/b][/i] .. .. %% libraries/AP_HAL_AVR/utility/ISRRegistry.o %% libraries/AP_HAL_AVR/utility/pins_arduino_mega.o %% libraries/AP_HAL_FLYMAPLE/utility/EEPROM.o %% libraries/AP_HAL_FLYMAPLE/utility/flash_stm32.o Building /tmp/ArduPlane.build/ArduPlane.elf %% ArduPlane.elf Firmware is in ArduPlane.elf
23:26:45 Build Finished (took 2m:13s.533ms)

One thing I still need help with is getting this to work with the ArduPilot-Solo fork used by 3DR’s Solo.
3DR seems to be making modifications to the code that do not work with this method to compile.

If anyone can help me figure out what settings need to change to compile 3DR’s version of ArduPilot, I would appreciate the help.
My main reason for figuring this out is I need to make some changes to the 3DR Solo version for testing some new hardware I have built for it.

Thanks

solo_pilot - I did what you said and guess what?

it worked for arducopter :smiley:
it worked for arduplane :smiley:
it worked for apmrover2 :smiley:
it failed on antennatracker :astonished: :frowning:

this is a lot better than ever before :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
did you try antennatracker on your pc?

Ahhh… I get an error with AntennaTracker also. :imp:

It seems that no one here knows how to use any of the Windows Tools, so I’m going to hit the “Reset Button” and set this all up in a VM VirtualBox of Ubunto 12.04

When I get it working I’ll post up the “Secret-Handshake-Club” tricks needed as I suspect it won’t be as simple as following what the Wiki says…