Is there a new way to set RTL altitude?

A couple of questions…
I found that there is a new setting in advanced param to set rtl altitude … seems either you set it to -1 which means it maintains whatever altitude it is at the time rtl is triggered… or you set it to number of centimeters you want rtl to be…

so if I set it to 12000 plus centimeters, that will put me about 500 feet…
Now if my plane is 2 miles away and it failssafes to RTL and it was at 1000 feet, will it drop like a rock to 500 then fly home, or will it slowly descend over the 2 mile trip?

second question, if I am at 200 feet altitude and 1 mile away ( not saying that is likely) and it goes to rtl, will it then climb to 500 over the mile trip?

Just something I need to watch out for…

Also, I thought it was much easier to just set the rtl in the mission planner flight planner screen, but now what does the defalt do?

thanks for any help…

Mack

AFAIK, the answer to your first question is: it will descend at Pitch_min until it reaches 500 then fly the rest of the way at 500.
The same for 2, it will climb at Pitch_max until 500… etc.
If it reaches home while still high or low it will continue to climb or descend in the Loiter until 500.
The Default Alt is what every waypoint will be defaulted to.

[quote=“Graham Dyer”]AFAIK, the answer to your first question is: it will descend at Pitch_min until it reaches 500 then fly the rest of the way at 500.
The same for 2, it will climb at Pitch_max until 500… etc.
If it reaches home while still high or low it will continue to climb or descend in the Loiter until 500.
The Default Alt is what every waypoint will be defaulted to.[/quote]

I believe there was a recent change in the code that allows the plane to do a gliding descent to the RTL altitude rather than diving for it. Sorry I can’t provide a reference for it now, I’m on my phone.

Interesting, please post it when you get a chance?

Ok, maybe it wasn’t so recent, it was in the 2.74 release notes:

“fixed RTL glide slope when starting above the target RTL altitude. Descent should now be smooth over long distances. Many thanks to Kitsen13 for raising this”

diydrones.com/forum/topics/apm-p … 4-released

It will descend slowly, but climb rapidly on RTL. The rapid climb is to ensure terrain is cleared. The slow descent is to maximise battery life when doing an RTL.
Cheers, Tridge