IRIS using channel 7 or 8 for retractable landing gear

How do I configure channel 7 or 8 to operate a pair of servo retracts on my landing gear?

The landing gear has a single PPM yellow/red/brown 3 pin cable that is used to power the landing gear to rise or lower, but how do I set that in the software and where would I plug it into on the Pixhawk?

Those a are cool… Did you fabricate them ??

They were bought but Hobbyking sell similar servos so there are guides on the internet for building your own.

pimp-your-kopter.de/frame/-l … /index.php

How are them Xoar props working out? Much better that stock?

I’ve only just put them on so I’ll tell you after more use, they’re a bit OTT for a small copter, but I use wooden Xoars on my bigger copters (I come from a DJI Naza background using mainly Vulcan carbon fibre frames).

I like wooden Xoars as on my larger copters they are very stable so I don’t get jello issues and the wooden Xoars are not sharp like CF blades so I’m hoping if I ever have a crash into a person the props would cause far less harm.

I did have to put on 5mm prop holders on the motors to fit the Xoars:
unmannedtechshop.co.uk/prop- … otors.html

These Xoars are the: PJN 10x5

I will be securing the props with nyloc nuts as these are the safest most effective way of keeping props on: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyloc_nut

Let me no how they work out. I will be trying some different blades myself,f but not wooden.
Thanks. If you don’t mid sending me a pic of the bottom of your iris with the retracts. I have a set myself im going to be putting on. Just curious how you mounted your to the iris. I’m planning on making a plate that goes between the legs. (trying to keep the set up as light as possible.) Sure wish I had a 3d printer and had the knowledge on fabricating up parts. Would make things a lot easier!!

To mount the legs, I used a thin piece of carbon fibre from a Vulcan:
uavshop.co.uk/catalog/produc … cts_id=254

I then drilled holes for the gimbal mount (using the IRIS Tarot gimbal as a template for the screw holes), I then used stand off pillars between the DYS gimbal (which has the same layout as the Tarot) and the carbon fibre plate:
4 x uavshop.co.uk/catalog/produc … cts_id=354

I then secured the stand off pillars to the gimbal and the gimbal mount (with the CF sandwiched in-between) using:

8 x uavshop.co.uk/catalog/produc … cts_id=342

(I used washers too: uavshop.co.uk/catalog/produc … cts_id=104)

I then drilled holes for the legs, 2 holes each, using 2 screws as above secured with nyloc nuts:
uavshop.co.uk/catalog/produc … cts_id=103

I drilled a third hole going through each leg mount purely to allow me to get a screw driver through, to fasten the gimbal mount to the IRIS using the 2 screws it has for this purpose.

Oh ok I see what ya did? Good thinking. I will be using the gimbal so I will probably have to go a different route.

Did you ever get you retracts figured out. I’m not sure were to plug the servo wire into the rx

The pixhawk (IIRC) doesn’t support RC passthru, but you can “hack” it to work with the camera gimbal screen assuming you aren’t using that already. Plug your leg servo into RC9 on the Pixhawk (labeled AUX1) and go into the camera gimbal config screen and set RC9 to be tilt, for instance. Make sure to uncheck stabilize and then set the limits as required and set the input channel to whatever you want the trigger to be on your TX.

Should work. Haven’t tested with legs but I use something similar to control the tilt on my tarot gimbal. I think it is a little laggy, but it should work just fine for the legs.

so what your saying is that I cannot use retracts if using my gimbal on the iris with the tx9h radio. if so that sure does blow!! lol

Hi bonito13,

I think you can try to follow @dmurray14 suggestion but instead of tilt, use the roll, Iris is preconfigured only to control the tilt so roll could be used for the retractable landing gear

The red wire of the gimbal connection is connected to Pixhawk’s AUX OUT 2 (RC10) so you could take this red wire and split the ground (brown wire).

Thank you for the info. I will give I a try