IRIS slides out of control - doesn't react to transmitter

Hi All,

Noobie here, just got IRIS.

Have a few issues that I haven’t been able to resolve. Can’t find answers on the interwebs so posting here.

1. Takes several tries of resetting / power cycling to get Iris to arm
  2. Had a prop come loose just from hitting some grass
  3. 2 times now - the Iris has lost control. It just started pitching and ‘sliding’ sideways until it hits something. All control is lost, throttle etc. Even after it crashes the props still spin for a good 10-15 seconds. It is in loiter mode when this happens. I have checked and rechecked parameters in Mission Planner and everything is calibrated and set to Iris defaults. Is it related to a FailSafe RTL? Or is there something else to consider.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Chris,
Do you have a green flashing LED before you put the IRIS in loiter mode? Also, the GPS accuracy varies from time to time and it can slide around while it is trying to maintain the GPS coordinates. Curious… does it change altitude when it is shifting around?

Sir it would be great if you could post up logs of your flight with problems…

Attached are the logs from the flights that ended in near disaster.

What do the LEDs on the FrSky transmitter mean?

I found this image from frsky-rc.com

[quote=“RogelioN”]I found this image from frsky-rc.com
[/quote]

Thanks, that is better info than I was able to pull from their docs.

It seems ‘normally’ I have blinking yellow and red.

I don’t see blinking yellow/red in that table, but sounds like not nominal.

If I hold the button to get to blinking green, I get an accompanying ‘beep’ which feels like it is trying to pair or something.

I have some strange plastic surrounding the pins that the module connects to. I will post separately, curious if that is normal or maybe I have intermittent RC connectivity.

this is a picture of the connector from the 3DR/FrSky controller to the FrSky wireless module. The plastic doesn’t look like it was intended to look. Does anyone else have this? The module snaps in tightly, but am curious if this connection point is something worth chasing down.

Trying to upload photo*

but I get this error:

The image must be at least 0 pixels wide, 0 pixels high and at most 1024 pixels wide and 768 pixels high. The submitted image is 686 pixels wide and 876 pixels high.

[quote=“chrisdeno”]this is a picture of the connector from the 3DR/FrSky controller to the FrSky wireless module. The plastic doesn’t look like it was intended to look. Does anyone else have this? The module snaps in tightly, but am curious if this connection point is something worth chasing down.

Trying to upload photo*

but I get this error:

The image must be at least 0 pixels wide, 0 pixels high and at most 1024 pixels wide and 768 pixels high. The submitted image is 686 pixels wide and 876 pixels high.[/quote]

OK, after further investigation the blinking yellow / solid red is blinking green / solid red according to the diagram. so that should be ok.

[quote=“chrisdeno”][quote=“RogelioN”]I found this image from frsky-rc.com
[/quote]

Thanks, that is better info than I was able to pull from their docs.

It seems ‘normally’ I have blinking yellow and red.

I don’t see blinking yellow/red in that table, but sounds like not nominal.

If I hold the button to get to blinking green, I get an accompanying ‘beep’ which feels like it is trying to pair or something.

I have some strange plastic surrounding the pins that the module connects to. I will post separately, curious if that is normal or maybe I have intermittent RC connectivity.[/quote]

That connector looks as if it has been cut per the readily published mod for accepting FrSKY Modules. I guess that is what 3DR means by custom :laughing:

May I add it looks like a very unprofessional cut. For a product that is ~$800 shipped, they could have cleaned it up with a dremel or something.

Read this and search Google for pics. One of the posts explains and shows the original protrusion.

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?5536-DJT-module-not-fitting-into-Turnigy-9x

We cut the original plastic to be able to insert the FrSky telemetry module.

I agree, I will feedback this information to the quality department, thank you for your input.

After a factory reset, update of mission planner, reload of Iris params, and basic calibration of compass, accel, and radio things seem to be much more consistent with expectations.

I think its the GPS having a hard time, so Loiter either doesn’t arm or has poor flying behavior.

Didn’t think GPS would be so sensitive, seems like perfectly clear skies are required.

Chris,
I think that I may be having the same issue as you in the Loiter mode where all control is lost, I have to throw it into stabilize before I hit something.

It seems intermittent and doesn’t happen as often when there are no trees anywhere near the field. I can almost always duplicate the problem in one area.

How did you do a factory reset? How did you reload the Pixhawk Parameters and did that fix your issue?

Thanks,
Steve

I would suggest being careful with Loiter. Most (but not all) of the time when you have a green LED, Loiter is quite stable. Any time I am in a wide-open area, it’s fine. But I can fly in my front yard (10-20 feet from my house) and about 40% of the time I switch to Loiter, it will suddenly take off in an unexpected direction, usually sideways. I’ve just learned to switch to it, give it a few seconds, and be ready to switch to some other mode that doesn’t require GPS in case things go wrong. If it acts weird, fly around for a minute in alt-hold or stabilize, and try again.