IRIS Crashed because the motor mount screws vibrated out

Has any else found that the motor mount screws loosened or fell out in flight? I only had 2 flights on it before they loosened up on me.

You Tube link.
youtube.com/watch?v=jYYDETARj9k#t=10

Ouch… That sucks. I’m going to check mine now too!

BTW, tune your Gimbal… it’s “swimming”… Links below:

[quote] rcgroups.com/forums/showpost … tcount=304
youtube.com/watch?v=BwogodUlGAI
copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common … the_gimbal
[/quote]

Mine did too. I’m on the phone with 3dr right now. Absolutely no lock tight on none of my motor bolts. I had only 16 minutes of flight time total. Luckily I heard a vibration at about 50 ft and I descended down to get a look and about a foot of the ground the motor lifted out of the arm, pulled the wires out of the motor and broke a prop. Luckily it was almost on the ground. Also, the set screw for the short leg for the same motor that fall out was totally over tightened from the factory. it was screwed right into the case of the motor!

That is just on the GoPro mount. I am waiting for the gimbal mount to come in.

When mine crashed it took out 2 motors, all the propellers and the top case.

I just checked and my motor screws were not very tight at all in my RTF Iris (received 2 wks ago). I’m not sure if it’s due to my one or two flip overs, or what, but most of the screws were hardly tight. One was pretty tight though, but just 1 out of 8 (2 per motor).

CHECK YOURS NOW!!! :smiley:

I tightened mine for now, and am planning to check again after another flight or two. If any are loose again, I will remove them all and re-locktite them myself.

I would Loctite them now! It only took 2 fights to rattle mine loose.

Loctite them. there should be red Loctite from the factory on the screws if they put it on. Only one of my motor screws had any remains of it.
Don’t Loctite any screws or bolts that go into plastic. It will eat away the plastic. Only use Loctite metal to metal.

[quote=“bonito13”]Loctite them. there should be red Loctite from the factory on the screws if they put it on. Only one of my motor screws had any remains of it.
Don’t Loctite any screws or bolts that go into plastic. It will eat away the plastic. Only use Loctite metal to metal.[/quote]
I did not have any in mine.

That what you call poor quality control. They will keep coming loose and will fall out if you don’t use Loctite. Even if you check you bolts after every flight they can still fall out in a ten minute flight with no Loctite.
3dr was supposed to address this matter of loose bolts since the first batch of iris’s that were sent out were delivered with missing bolts and screws, some srews and bolts were found laying in the Iris box

I had the same issue. two screws came out of the motor. I thought I broke the mount at first.
I then got some Threadlocker and some new screws as they are no where to be found.
Re-did all my screws and there was not a lot of Loctite on them.

[quote=“bonito13”]That what you call poor quality control. They will keep coming loose and will fall out if you don’t use Loctite. Even if you check you bolts after every flight they can still fall out in a ten minute flight with no Loctite.
3dr was supposed to address this matter of loose bolts since the first batch of iris’s that were sent out were delivered with missing bolts and screws, some srews and bolts were found laying in the Iris box[/quote]
I am going to give them a call in the morning. If they knew about it like GM knew about the key switches Than I want them to replace the one that I have for a new one. Never know what is going to go wrong next after a 35ft drop. Then they will blame it on a later crash and not cover it. :smiling_imp:

You should not have any problem getting them to replace your motor props and what else got wrecked.They paid for my motor and props without any argument.

They are sending me new parts too. They will be here by the end of the week. But what if something else happened to the crash that I could not see and my need to be fixed later. I just don’t want them to blame it on a more recent crash. So I am going to see if they want to warranty any further complications or send me out a new unit. You have to remember I did not have even 2 flights on the IRIS.

I think you would be better off sending them it back and having it checked over. It did fall from some distance. Its probably ok but ya just never know.

We will see what they say.

Ok I got my parts in today… What did they not send me? The f-n screws the fell out!!! :smiling_imp: WTF OK I will try to get some at the hard ware store.

Than I am going to call my CC company on for a charge back. They need to make this right. No more games.

So you want a $750 quad for free because of a quality control issue that caused damage, which they sent out replacement parts for but forgot 30c in screws?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

They forgot to send my screws and props also. But dang I got me some nice motors! Ill just glue em in!!!lol
My buddy got an Iris couple weeks ago that wont even fly. Went through the tech department and after about 3 attempts’ to get it operating he told them send me a new one. I buy a product that’s supposed to fly right out off the box. Not work on it out of the box!! He was having nothing but trouble trying to get it replaced for over a week till he decided to make one call to paypal. And within 15 minutes he had a new quad coming. Some times, you just have to put a little pressure on their pocketbook to get them to open their eyes!!!

[quote=“knightrider”]So you want a $750 quad for free because of a quality control issue that caused damage, which they sent out replacement parts for but forgot 30c in screws?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk[/quote]

This is what I asked for in a email to them.

"What I will need to get back up and running.

1. 2 new motors (I hope that no damage was to the other 2- If so I will need 4)
  2. 4 new props
  3. New top cover
  4. 8 Motor mounting screws "

How can you mess that up?? Really! The missing screws is what caused the problem in the first place.

It is not the $.30 for the screw it is that it was incompetence on the way they handled their problem that they made my problem. Not to mention I had to disassemble the IRIS solider all new leads and put it back together again. With out even 2 flights under my belt. I was not asking for them to pay for my time. Not sending the screws or Loctite??? I had to go to 5 hardware store to find the 3Mx8mm screws… Yes WTF.