How to get longer flight time out of a 3S battery? (APM 3.2.1)

Right, so what’s left that doesn’t change. Camera and gimbal and replace the flamed out Power Module? That’s almost a complete new build. Good idea.

I think this thread can conclude much sooner than the others.

I have already a 5Ah 3S Lipo that I could try! It’s extremely heavy for a 3S (400g) but might try it!
For the motors some of you mentioned that my 960kv is too much, and now you’re recommending me 1000kv motors… okay, will look into that!
My frame could actually fit bigger propellers, but I am against using non-DJI propellers with DJI motors, because I heard some stories of motors/propellers breaking because of that, not sure here, again.

One method that I was thinking from the start that might, but not necessarily will work is 3-blade props! Does someone of you have some experience with using them on a big quad. They will generally generate more lift, but also heat up more the motor, is it worth it?

Why are we starting this all over again?
There is no solution that you will like to your problems, asking it 100 times will not change it :slight_smile:

1 Like

There is always a solution :wink:

Now it’s probably less expensive to buy a Phantom 4 at this point, I will spend more money on rebuilding quads than I could buying a professional drone!
Impressive…

Phantom 4 professional drone…

What? Why don’t you agree?

Not gonna even bother reply…
That’s from my point of view, for everyone their view of drones is different… isn’t the phantom 4 professional? At least it’s used professionally.
I don’t care, not gonna buy it for now anyway.
If you can’t help me get more flight time with my drone that’s no help anyway!

I guess i can’t help with something you want to listen to, good luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think the Fat Lady has sung…

I think you need to define your requirements better so we can help you. How many minutes of flight time are you wanting?

I am on vacation, therefore I provided only basic hobby about the missing information, (and forgot log) , having only my phone with me, I can’t help much, but as the others already pointed out, proper logging is important in order to figure out the issue.
You mentioned Li-Ion ? What cells and configuration are you flying?
Also: how much capacity do you charge after landing? (I suspect you are far from the rated capacity due to high current)

I’m going to answer questions from both of you in the same answer.

I expect at least 10 - 11 minutes of flight time, 15+ would be ideal! I don’t want to rebuild my quad, motors will probably overheat on 4S, I could change battery, but not motors!

I’m flying Lipo 3S 2300mAh

I use 85-90% of the capacity in one flight! Sometimes, but rarely it reaches 100% if I don’t land in time… But I try not to do that!

I know you don’t want to replace motors. But to get the flight times you want that’s what you will need to do. Lower kv motor = more torque/thrust with larger props. When you have plenty thrust your throttle position is Lower to hold a hover, hence using less amps which means longer flight times providing you are using the right battery. On my tarot 700, I hover at 1/4 throttle with a 5s 5000 pack and camera. You have to make changes if you want a better outcome. Performance is not free.

Why are people wasting time here i wonder…

Buy this one https://www.yangdaonline.com/yangda-yd4-1000s-long-flight-time-rtf-quadcopter/ and stop wasting everybody’s time…

I really enjoy reading these threads. Perhaps someone finally finds a way to beat physics.

4 Likes

I just replaced the motors like 2 months ago, not going over this again.

No, I need my current drone to fly well, not going for a rtf solution

I don’t need to beat phisics, good ideas are enough!
If you don’t have any ideas then leave this discussion!