How to flash boot loader on APM 2.5?

Hi,
My APM has an issue described here
diydrones.com/group/arducopt … ed-apm-2-5

I think I am not flashing right. Is there a step by step guide to flash the boot loader?
Thx

Hi Hugues,

You can try to erase the eeprom in terminal by setup, erase (be aware this will erase your previous calibrations).

Also you can try this procedure:
copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common … tmega32u2/

Hi,
Thx for the suggestion. I’ve done that succesfully (thinking it would restore the posibility to connect to the board via mission planner) but afterwards it remains the same erroneous behaviour where mission planner can’t connect to the board, neither in CLI mode, neither in firmware installation mode, neither normally via the connect button.
I just think this board is broken somehow but can’t find a root cause for it.

Took me hours to figure this out. You will need a USBASP programming tool. This one worked for me:
hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor … ssors.html

(Note: this is not the ATMega2560 bootloader–it is only for the PPM chip:
copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common … tmega32u2/ )

First get the bootloader hex file (there are many versions out there). This official one needs to be compiled into a hex file:
github.com/diydrones/ardupilot/ … bootloader

Next get AVRDudess here:
blog.zakkemble.co.uk/avrdudess-a … r-avrdude/
(for those like me who are hopeless at Command Line codes which require finding locations of files).

Then hook up the USBASP tool to the board as in the photos.

Finally set the AVRDudess as shown in the photo.

(After hours of trying all sorts of things with no effect, I was amazed when the LEDs came back to life!)

These directions worked perfectly for me when I had problems downloading different FW.

Ran perfectly. But didn’t work for me.

[quote=“deuce4”]Took me hours to figure this out. You will need a USBASP programming tool. This one worked for me:
hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor … ssors.html

(Note: this is not the ATMega2560 bootloader–it is only for the PPM chip:
copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common … tmega32u2/ )

First get the bootloader hex file (there are many versions out there). This official one needs to be compiled into a hex file:
github.com/diydrones/ardupilot/ … bootloader

Next get AVRDudess here:
blog.zakkemble.co.uk/avrdudess-a … r-avrdude/
(for those like me who are hopeless at Command Line codes which require finding locations of files).

Then hook up the USBASP tool to the board as in the photos.

Finally set the AVRDudess as shown in the photo.

(After hours of trying all sorts of things with no effect, I was amazed when the LEDs came back to life!)[/quote]

Hi Deuce,
i had a board which was acting funky … so i kinda went into Arduino and cleared the Epprom (default example sketch), without a clue of what i will do next, and then no more lights … i first tried using the terminal window i but i got only asci characters etc, and i heard terminal is not supported anymore … i tried uploading uploading etc with atmel studio etc … something was wrong … any ways i came across this post, and voila, magic light and firmware updated to the latest one possible (8 bit) … and its great …

i could find the .hex file to upload to the board and i don’t know how to compile it from the github … so i found the attached hex file and used your method … and it seems it works fine …

thanks for you support and detailed steps

happy flying

chX

Hi there,

I’ve followed the steps above in reflashing the bootloader on my APM, but when I load the correct drivers through device manager, the APM is recognised as “ATmega32u2 DFU” and is assigned as a “libusb-win32 device” which means it doesn’t have a COM Port.
Has anyone else had this issue or know where I have gone wrong?

Cheers