How to debug circle mode not circling?

I have my switch working right, I can see circle mode when I activate it, I can see it move servos on the ground, but very very little.
I have LIM_ROLL_CD cranked to 60 since it’s supposed to mean bank angle of 20 (it gets divided by 3) for circling, but basically while I can see circling working on the ground when I tilt the plane, but once in the air, flipping the switch seems to make the plane fly straight away from me :slight_smile:

Now, RTL does actually work. it brings the plane back to me and circles (although way too high despite ALT_HOLD_RTL lowered to 2000 (20m).

I tried auto calibration (brand new setup), and I’m not sure how well that worked. I did do the 25 left and right, and the up and down barely do anything. I can see the plane barely nosing up or down, but ever so slightly.

How can I debug this on the ground without flying? Is there a way to debug circling or RTL by feeding fake flight data and seeing what the plane does?
And from this description, could you guess what I might have set wrong to have circling not work?

Thanks,
Marc

How long did you let the plane fly after selecting Circle mode? I had my first try of using circle yesterday and after selecting the mode I was thinking that my glider was flying away but I left it alone and it did actually circle, just that the circle radius was very much larger than I was expecting.

Dave

[quote=“daveymg”]How long did you let the plane fly after selecting Circle mode? I had my first try of using circle yesterday and after selecting the mode I was thinking that my glider was flying away but I left it alone and it did actually circle, just that the circle radius was very much larger than I was expecting.

Dave[/quote]

Yep, that was indeed the problem. The circle is so huge and doesn’t compensate for wind (by design) that it would cause my plane to go so far that I was worried it wasn’t circling.

So I did more tests. It does circle, but the circle radius is so huge that it could go out of my view easily.
I’ve tried increasing LIM_ROLL a bit more, but I can’t really do that because this causes RTL to bank too much and stall the plane (which is understandable)

I think I really only need a way to increase the bank angle for circle mode, and I’m not sure one can do that. Am I correct?

Use loiter mode. It uses GPS and has an adjustable turn radius.

I was using mostly out-of-the-box settings for my testing, the circle radius would have been around 100m. I haven’t gone too deeply into the tuning settings yet so can’t comment on setting the circle bank angle. My model is 2m wing span so maybe pulled a smaller turn radius for the default setting.

Dave