Hardware Installation for 3DR Radio telemetry

Hi, basic question. I’ve seen in the documentation that we just have to install a 3DR Radio telemetry GROUND unit. Connected to the Tablet via USB. I own a Tali H500 with Arduino Mega 2560. So I assume that the Video Transmitter sends all the telemetry parameters to the ground module? Or do I have to install another radio transmitter in the Drone? Sorry for the question, but now I’m using Mission Planner with an USB connection to load the missions.

Now I need to go next step…

Thanks for help.

chris

@chris66,
Yes, you have to have a 3DR telemetry module in the copter, that is connected to the APM telemetry port, to transmit the the MavLink data to the 3DR telemetry module connected to the GCS.
Regards,
TCIII GM

@TCIII, thanks for the answer. To be sure to understand, as telemetry info like latidude and longitude is already displayed in the screen of my Devo F12S, does it mean that I’ve already a telemetry module in the copter installed, and so, I just need The Ground module with USB to connect to a Tablet installed with Droidplanner right?

@chris66,
The 3DR telemetry module with the GCS will only work with a corresponding 3DR telemetry module in the aircraft.
Regards,
TCIII GM

You CAN install 3DR radios into the TALI H500 without too much trouble. All you need is an appropriate cable, connected up to the DATA port inside the TALI, on the flight controller, which is basically an APM module.

If you use a “USB” jumper lead from the Walkera TALI cable spares pack (available separately) you can just snip the end off and graft it onto a 3DR radio cable.

On the Walkera TALI USB internal jumper cable, when connected to the FCS data port inside the tali, the red is ground, black is +5, white is data-out, and blue is data-in.

See my short youtube video for a howto writeup to get it working.

youtube.com/watch?v=YfTflrcBDOE

“To be sure to understand, as telemetry info like latidude and longitude is already displayed in the screen of my Devo F12S, does it mean that I’ve already a telemetry module in the copter installed, and so, I just need The Ground module with USB to connect to a Tablet installed with Droidplanner right?”

The telemetry link shown on the F12E screen is a different bunch of telemetry than the 3DR radio link provides from the APM. Frankly, it’s not as good. No map position, no yaw, heading, pitch, roll, rssi, etc.

I use both. Yes, you can simply connect via USB cable to the TALI, but if you install this mod, you’ll be able to do it wirelessly. See my other post.

@sleat, thanks, I will have a look at.

That kind of 3dr module will be ok right? aliexpress.com/item/Single-T … 73524.html

That kind of 3dr module will be ok right? aliexpress.com/item/Single-T … 73524.html

Looks ok to me. The one with the USB plug goes into your OTG port on your tablet, laptop, phone, etc, and the other one flies in your drone.

When you get 'em, connect 'em up via APM Planner on PC/Laptop and make sure they connect to each other, and are configured correctly. There’s a Wiki for that. copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common … m-and-px4/

Make sure they have the latest firmware installed, you can do that from APM Planner, too.

I wasn’t game to hack inside the H500 FCS flight controller, so I bought a spare cable set from my local Walkera dealer. Cut one of the cables in half, and grafted on the other end of the normal rev 1 air-radio cable with a Molex header.

You only need +5, Ground, Data in, and Data out. Be sure to get the +5 and Ground right! The other two you can swap around if you get confused, but reverse polarity on the radios may wreck both the FCS in the TALI and the Radio as well!

Use a meter (or an oscilloscope!) to be sure what’s what, and please see this YT video I made with the instructions:

youtu.be/YfTflrcBDOE

Hi sleat, I’ve seen your video and thanks for explanations. Another point, maybe should open two other topics (don’t know the forum rules…) :

Did you try to manage speed with DO_CHANGE_SPEED with MP?

And to manage camera with a DO_SET_ROI ? Don’t think is supported with the H500, because when I set it with MP, I can see the red flag on the map. But when I upload the mission on the H500, I tried to download the mission again from H500 to MP and the ROI dissapeared on the map. I mean the DO_SET_ROI line always exist in MP but Lat and Long are set to “0”. As if this function was not supported by the H500. I do not know it it’s a H500 bug or MP. Did you try it? If you have the same bug, where to report this bug?

Link to new topic: http://ardupilot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10066

Thanks,

chris

@sleat, I’ve seen in your video that you use DroidPlanner and not DroidPlanner 2. I’ve seen in the documentation that DroidPlanner 2 should use all the functionnalities of DroidPlanner. So this is not the case? Only DroidPlanner “first version” is compatible with Tali H500?

Hello Guys,

I suppous this is a very simple question, but I ´m new at this.
I just bought a 3dr radio set, and I need to Know in what place do I have to connect the radio in the TALI H500
I conncted it to the external microusb an it does not seem to work

Can any one help me???