GPS not working, 0 satellites, EKF status bad

Hello,
I seem to have a problem with the V2450 GPS. It will not pick any GPS satellites whatsoever. Firmwares were updated with the Android app, drone was factory reset from the web interface. Any clues? Are there tests I can do?

Thanks,
Rustbox.

Here is a picture of the System Status GPS & EKF data.

I seem to have a problem with the V2450 GPS. It will not pick any GPS
satellites whatsoever. Firmwares were updated with the Android app, drone
was factory reset from the web interface. Any clues? Are there tests I can
do?

Has the unit ever seen satellites?

Could you download a log using the web interface and upload it somewhere,
please?

Rustbox.

Yours,

Hello,

Good question, I have bought this unit off eBay as a “store return”. I suppose it was initially returned because it was defective.

As far as log, I have yet to try putting an SD card in the thing, lacking of such 4GB+ card. I will try to find one or buy one very soon.

In the messages page, I am getting :
22:05:42 GPS: u-blox 1 saving config

Many thanks,
Rustbox

Here are a couple of pictures from inside the quad.

I have measured 3.7v from pin 1 to 6 on the GPS unit, that seems good to me.

Top of the GPS unit.

Top of the FC. Note that I have removed some of the glue-goop that was added on the GPS wires seen in the middle left. Some of the wires seem weak but attached.

Underside of the FC. The solders on the wires seem alright.

I have found a suitable SD card to use. After powering the quad and spinning the props, I found both LASTLOG.TXT and 000001.BIN.

LASTLOG.TXT only contains the number “1”.

I have these FC messages:
22:48:51 EKF2 IMU0 tilt alignment complete
22:49:03 u-blox 1 HW: 00080000 SW: ROM CORE 3.01 (107888)

I think the alignment was me doing the simple accelerometer calibration after reset.

Gentlemen,
New developments in the no GPS affair! I have successfully connected with u-blox u-center 8.28 to the u-blox GPS unit through the Mavlink passthrough technique given at Ublox GPS configuration
, however, I had to use the menus a bit differently…
First of all use the Mavlink passthrough button in the CTRL+F menu of Mission Planner (v1.3.52 build 1.3.52.0). The button seems like it does nothing but I think it do.

Set the receiver generation to ublox M8/8.

Open a new connection to tcp://localhost:500

As you may have noticed, the GPS does get satellites and it even gets 3D fix mode and it seems to be functioning just fine! The issue for me is that the GPS data does not seem to get through to the flight controller board for some reason. I have noticed that the GPS board is connected to the FC through 6 wires, 2 for power and ground and 4 wires are used for communications. Would I be correct to deduce that the Mavlink passthrough uses two of these wires, the other pair used to give the GPS data to the FC board? Expert help anyone?

Many thanks again,
Rustbox

It had come to my attention that “Fixtype” in the GPS status page was set to 0, which is not normal (should be 1). I changed the SERIAL3_BAUD to 9600 and the Fixtype went to 1 and now it seems like it works just fine! Did I mess up the baud rate? Does the baud rate works on many settings? Does the parameters reset when you factory reset the unit?

Many questions, more airtime,
Rustbox

It kinda stinks that you bascially talked to yourself throughout this entire process. But glad to see you found the issue. I have seen a few people say that when manually uploading a firmware to the FC that it can wipe out the default flight parameters. I wonder if whoever had the SV before you tried that, screwed it up, and returned it. Glad you figure it out. I’m surprised that uploading a “stock” firmware doesn’t reset defaults though. Maybe it is supposed to?