GPS_AUTO_SWITCH : UseSecond

Dear Community,

I’m using Here GPS as GPS 1 and a RTK GPS as GPS 2.

If I select UseSecond for GPS_AUTO_SWITCH, what happen if, for whatever reason, the GPS2 is lost during flight? would the autopilot automatically switch to GPS1?

Best regards,
Cédric

No, it will not. It will continue to use the second

Thank you for your answer.
Would it be stupid to ask for such option? I mean to have a 2nd GPS for redundancy but without the risk of switching between the 2 GPS unnecessary? (which is what can happen with “use best”)

github pull requests are welcome. I am the one that added that UseSecondoption with a Pull-Request :stuck_out_tongue:

Nice, if I could develop for sure I would offer it :-).

Do you think it would it be difficult for you to introduce such feature since you are the ONE :slight_smile: ?
I imagine something not really far from UseBest, instead of comparing HDOP or mode or number of satellite the condition to trigger a change of Primary GPS could be if there are for instance less than 5 satellites or mode switch to No GPS.

Actually I was wondering also what are the conditions to trigger a change of the primary GPS under the UseBest option?

Finally maybe you have an explanation to my problem: when we apply UseBest and GPS as alt_source, we sometimes lose RTK fix and that trigger a primary GPS change and a harsh reaction of the drone, like losing altitude. My explanation would be the difference of elevation between the 2 GPS, what do you think?

You are not the first to ask for this and I am starting a new project where I will need this … so you might get your wish, but I can not promise it.

Yes two GPS of different manufacturers can output very different altitudes, do not mix them, unless you can write the code to correct them :wink:

1 Like

thank you, I’m looking forward to hearing news from you!