FrSky FPort support - testers wanted

I don’t have any test results, but I am very excited about this! ArduPilot is now a huge step closer to taking an RTF betaflight quadcopter, and being able to just re-flash the flight controller to fly ArduPilot.

Is there any advantage to using FPort over Sbus over RCIN and S.Port pass-through on an orange cube? On other boards there’s a clear advantage to freeing up a UART but on the cube you don’t get that.

Main advantage is you get RSSI, plus the telemetry bandwidth is a lot higher with FPort (higher baudrate), and you could do two receivers, one on RCIN and the 2nd with telem on a serial port.

2 Likes

It is 115200, but it sets it automatically, so it doesn’t matter what you set.

ok, if you do want to investigate further than you would need to get a logic analyser trace so we can see what is happening on the uart.

I don’t have a logic analyser. I could try listening with Wireshark?
But I have other receiver types to rule out that the problem is the R9MM.

which other receiver types have you tried, and what was the result?

tried an R9 today on ser1-3 with specified settings and no success. RC in works, telemetry not. I have no idea…

tried an X4R with FPort firmware and it works out of the box with Cube Orange. So the issue is R9 and R9MM?

Wow, this is cool. Now we can create another one alt config for PixRacer to have SPI port instead of WiFi

quite possibly. Does someone with a R9 setup have a logic analyser to get a trace of what is happening?

that should be possible, yes.

no, it needs a logic analyser, preferably a Saleae.
If nobody else puts their hands up to say they have one and a R9 then I’ll but a R9 module for my taranis and a receiver

I have Matek F768 with R9 (telemetry setup and working on SPort)
Will try to have a time to check if the telemetry working on FPort.
As I briefly understood I don’t need to resolder anything just reflash R9 and use @tridge firmware?

you can use master firmware now (‘latest’ in firmware.ardupilot.org) as it has been merged
see instructions for MatekF765 above

I have a Kakute F7 AIO and a R9MM and Fport is working for both RC input and telemetry (yaapu). It’s on the bench not flying but all features seem to be working.

2 Likes

great! At least this means it can work. Still need to work out why it doesn’t work for @webmotions

R9mm has two fport pins: inverted and non inverted. What pin did you try?
Thanks!

This one (R9MM) and if it matters it’s FCC fport. I have an R9 I could try also but I think it will work. It’s the same level of firmware from Frsky.

R9mm%20fport

I tried out an R-XSR with F.Port on latest master copter on a Matek F405-CTR and I can’t seem to get it to work at all. I have the “Uninverted S.Port” pad soldered to TX1, but I tried TX4 as well.

My settings are as follows:

• SERIAL1_BAUD 115200
  • SERIAL1_OPTIONS 4
  • SERIAL1_PROTOCOL 23

Whenever I go to the radio tab in QGroundControl I get this message:

just no channels available at all…

It works under Betaflight w/ full telemetry on TX4, no SoftSerial enabled and serialrx_halfduplex=on

**EDIT: I was dumb and didn’t realize the serialX settings don’t match up with the uarts on the board. It works now with no additional inverters required. :slight_smile: **

SERIAL0 = console = USB
SERIAL1 = Telemetry1 = USART3
SERIAL2 = Telemetry2 = UART4
SERIAL3 = GPS1 = USART1
SERIAL4 = GPS2 = UART5
1 Like

@dkemxr
To have it working without hardware inverter on F4 chips you need use bottom pin.
It is like “hardware inverter included”

If is needed test on Pixhawk1 with R9 Slim and Taranis X9D, just provide me image and short explanation how to wire and set i can test on my system.