FPV Wifi Video UDP

Currently I have a couple of different FPV receivers that can convert to Composite video out, UVC, or even UCEC (over USB). What I would like to do is covert one of these outputs to Wifi to be able to pick up a stream on Tower or QGroundControl. What is the best way of accomplishing this? I do have a raspberry pi I can use if that is a way forward. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Ryan

The RPI will take UVC in on the USB port, then use gstreamer or such to send it out over wifi.

Is there a website with instructions on how to set it up?

Never mind, think I found something here…

At the bottom, someone explains in the comments how to get it working with a USB camera…Will give this a shot and see if I can get it working.

The next step though would be to get both telemetry and video through the pi. So my setup would be the following:
Drone with 3dr telemetry and VTX
Ground Station with 3dr RX (USB) and UVC RX (USB) connected to PI and then wifi to tablet/phone with GCS.

Would this be possible?

Ryan

Okay, after doing a bunch of searching will APSync do what I asked in my last post?

http://ardupilot.org/dev/docs/apsync-intro.html

From this it seems like I can use the Pi as my Ground station receiver for video and telemetry and convert that to UDP for my GCS. I assume APSync can pull the telemetry data from a USB RX. Sorry, still learning and appreciate the patience.

Ryan

Look ma, no wires!

Well, after a couple of days of playing, I have figured it out. Here are the steps I followed:

1. Flash image of APSync for Raspberry Pi
  2. After booting, change raspi-config options as required (I needed to change locale settings for my keyboard)
  3. change cmavnode.conf file as follows:
  • sudo nano /start_cmavnode/cmavnode.conf
  • change port under [aeriallink] to /dev/ttyUSB0
  • exit and save
  1. change start_udp_stream file as follows:
  • sudo nano /start_cherrypy/start_udp_stream
  • comment out from raspivid line down through udpsink line
  • add the following:
    gst-launch-1.0 -vv -e v4l2src device=/dev/video0 ! “video/x-raw,width-720,height-480” !
    queue ! omxh264enc ! h264parse ! rtph264pay config-interval=1 pt=96 !
    udpsink host=$STREAM_TO_IP port=$STREAM_TO_PORT
  • Exit and save
    ***The main change is the v4l2src and the part in quotes. The part in quotes has to match what your USB capture device can do. To get this information type the following at the command prompt after plugging in your adapter: v4l2-ctl --all -d /dev/video0
    This will provide the width, height information
  1. sudo reboot
  2. Connect your device to ardupilot wifi access point after the pi reboots
  3. Password for wifi is enRouteArduPilot, not ardupilot as documentation suggests. This may change later of course.
  4. Start up GCS software. For QGroundControl, I added a Com Link for UDP connecting to port 14550 and set to auto connect. For Tower just select UDP, port defaults to 14550.
  5. For video, both have a setting for UDP video. Just ensure port is set to 5600

That’s it. Enjoy having no wires dangling off your tablet.

Ryan

I have been interested in this.
My 1st batch Pixhawk 2.1 has Intel Edison port and my Edison chip should arrive this Monday but I doubt it will provide reasonable range.

Do you have any info of its range?

My range is not limited to wifi. I am still using the VTX and 3dr telemetry from the copter to the pi. The pi then broadcast both received rf signals over wifi. So my range is the VTX and telemetry rf ranges.

Ryan

Can you still transmit Telemety via Mavling if you use UDP on Mission Planner?. That is. if you are using Mission planner, not tower.

I don’t see why not. Just select UDP from the drop down list next to the Connect button instead of selecting a serial port. I don’t know what the difference is between UDP and UDPCI. Someone else will need to chime in on that one.

Ryan

If you want to transmit an composite analog video signal as if it is coming from a web cam, then you need to add a video grabber to the mix. Hauppauge is one reputable vendor. There are many generic grabbers from China vendors, but be aware that many of the driver downloads for these are infected with malware.

Google Results for Video Grabbers