ESC Sync problem with update from 3.6.9 to 3.6.10

You shouldn’t need to. Can you send me a log to take a look at? Ideally a log on 3.6.9 then one on 3.6.11.

Thx for the Feedback, i tested the latest 4.0.0. it is the same as with 3.6.1.1.

The drone is an octocopter, so we use 2x 4in1 ESC with 300kv Motors and cant use the aux outputs.

I will make a flight with the 3.6.9 today and uploads both logfiles.

1 Like

You can find the 2 log files here

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kaPYh59xeVrJVAC7APO4rHVOFGxsyqVW

I installed the 4.0 RC Version, it now works fine now, thx again for the fix!

1 Like

I installed the latest Version 4.01 RC2 on this drone, unfortunately the ESC Sync problem is back. I tried also the 4.00 and latest dev., same problem.

Does anybody know what exaclty changed between the 4.0 RC Version and this? @rmackay9 @tridge

Hi @Christian81,

The changes between versions are listed in the ReleaseNotes and while some are easy to understand others are not.

I guess because your post that 4.0.0 was working was in Oct, it’s most likely that it was Copter-4.0.0-rc1 that worked for you.

Copter-4.0.1-rc3 will be out soon so I might ask if you can retest with that version although we don’t know of any specific changes that would affect the PWM outputs. If that still doesn’t work for you I might produce a CubeBlack build for you of Copter-4.0.0-rc1 so we can confirm that the issue really was fixed in that version.

Hi @rmackay9,

thank you for the info, I just tested the RC3 Version, it is still there. I checked if I had the Version on my laptop that worked and I did, it was the 4.0.0-rc1

@Christian81,

Thanks for confirming that -rc3 does not fix the issue. Could you re-confirm that 4.0.0-rc1 does work? I’ve recompiled -rc1 on my machine and placed a binary here. https://www.dropbox.com/s/lm1p6grtxtv4eyj/arducopter-400-rc1.zip?dl=0

P.S. this version is actually not identical to what firmware.ardupilot.org would have produced but it’s very close and should act the same.

Thank you for the Feedback, I did try a test again with 4.0.0 RC1, last time it was in the bench. This time in the air and the issue did happen. So it was not fixed in this Version, sorry for the mistake. I will check your Version today and let you know.

Ok, txs for doing the test. In the coming days I’ll produce a version of 3.6.9 and 3.6.10 so you can confirm that one has the sync issue and the other doesn’t and then we can narrow down on which change between these two versions caused the issue.

@Christian81,

I was wondering if you could provide a log using Copter-4.0.x? We discussed this on the dev call and it seems that 4.0.x has a new IOMC onboard log message that provides information about the IO processor’s health including errors and restarts.

I will also produce those test firmwares for you shortly.

@rmackay9

Thank you again for your help! We tried the 4.0RC1 you provided, the problem is still there.

I can send you also a logfile, but it will take 2-3 days.

@Christian81,

Sorry to keep asking you to testing various firmwares… but I think there’s a good chance we’ve got to the bottom of this finally so I’m wondering if you can test the binary from Tridge at the bottom of this thread. Here’s a direct link to the CubeBlack binary that has a fix. This is Copter-4.0.2-dev so it hasn’t gone through beta testing so please be careful.

Here is a similar problem I am having on 4.0.1 (Cube PH 2.1)

KNOCKING VIDEO

@Jimmy_Oliver that sounds like a motor timing issue.
I would go through available data on the firmware/motor combination as a first step.
Definitely doesn’t sound like bearings.

1 Like

I dialed back to v3.6.9 and the knocking stopped but I am still going to roll back firmware on ESC’s when KDE decides to get back to me on my service ticket.

@Jimmy_Oliver,

If indeed the problem goes away when you load Copter-3.6.9, could you give the firmware linked above a try?

I am going to test a version from Tridge to see if the knocking returns. This exchange is cross pollinated with a Facebook thread. Still not convinced that KDE firmware update wasn’t responsible for a wild LOITER ride I took 2 days ago. Flew fine in STAB.

1 Like

Here is a 4.0.2pre copter firmware with the fix that may help:
http://uav.tridgell.net/tmp/copter-4.0.2pre-CubeBlack.apj

Comparison Video of AP versions

VIDEO LINK

3 Likes