Custom drone switched to RTL when trying to takeoff then crashed

I was trying to test my custom quadcopter with an H frame with 16 inch props, the logs show it switched to RTL when I was throttling up the drone to takeoff then it rolled right, caught a prop into the ground and continued to tear itself apart. I cant figure out what caused it to initiate the switch to RTL. Any ideas?

Link to flight logs: https://drive.google.com/file/d/173R5GE2ftBxkANIOObfAfnU0OsxAdX7A/view?usp=sharing

Something with your RC control
05:28:02 2 2 RADIO: RADIO LATE FRAME
05:28:02 5 1 RADIO FAILSAFE: OCCURED OR FAILED TO INITILIASE
05:28:06 12 1 CRASH CHECK: CHECK CRASH

Initial params were not set correctly either, check the tuning guide.

Thanks so much, could it have been noise or something. Not sure what could have caused that. As in initial params do you mean the radio controller tuning params, or something else?

Generally… Check the multirotor tuning guide, set up voltage and current monitoring then press Alt A in mission planner and follow the prompts.

1 Like

I’m on ubuntu so Alt + A doesn’t work with APM Planner V2, what does alt A trigger?

A very useful tuning guide Plug-in.

1 Like

The solution to most support problems it to read and use the “copter tuning process instructions” posted countless times in this forum. Or to press “Alt-A” in mission planner, the result is mostly the same.

This es especially important for large custom build frames, of for very small frames.

1 Like