Crash in RTL

Hello everyone,

I will be happy for any help with this. Today I was flying IRIS on field in “altitude hold”. In one turn I lost track of copters orientation, so I switched to RTL mode. Unfortunately IRIS started descending really fast, possibly touched the ground. Expecting worst, I packed and get ready for trip to field (600 meters away), when I noticed IRIS is happily flying back in 50 meters. I landed, everything was fine except for little bit of dirt on copters belly. Luckily gimbal wasn’t mounted.

I checked log, but I have no idea, what caused this. So if anyone can take a look, log is attached.

http://www.filedropper.com/135

Thanks Tomas

How did you expect to keep orientation at that distance?

Looks like it was hard over to the right when you put it into RTL. It then slowed and fell to the ground at which point the copter started back to home. As it did this it climbed back to the 50 meter height.

Did look like it did hit the ground. Don’t know exactly why it fell from 60 meters when you switch to RTL other than it needed to change direction from the hard over you had it at.

Mike

I know how should copter respond to sticks moves, and when my expectation of copters movement corresponds with actual copters movement, I know orientation.

I was about to fly eights, but get caught by wind. Usually I am trying to fly at 400 meters distance top.

[quote=“iseries”]Looks like it was hard over to the right when you put it into RTL. It then slowed and fell to the ground at which point the copter started back to home. As it did this it climbed back to the 50 meter height.

Did look like it did hit the ground. Don’t know exactly why it fell from 60 meters when you switch to RTL other than it needed to change direction from the hard over you had it at.

Mike[/quote]

Hi Mike,

thanks for answer. I was reviewing log again and noticed, that there is difference between gps altitude and barometer altitude. It almost seems, that I crashed even before climb. On the other hand, I can hardly believe, that IRIS would recover from crash without scratch - it was freshly plowed field.

Tomas