Connecting to Arducopter via dronekit-python

Hi Everyone,

I’ve been trying without success to connect with a simple dronekit-python script to my drone running navio2+rp3 and Arducopter. Connection to the drone works perfectly with both QGroundControl or APMPlanner … I connect directly via the Wifi of the Raspberry since both the drone and my laptop running QGC or APM are connected to the same wifi router at home.

On Ardupilot running on Navio2 I have edited the file sudo nano /etc/default/arducopter with the configuration #TELEM1="-A udp:192.168.1.108:14550" where 192.168.1.108 is the IP address of my laptop.

The droneKit script I’m using is vehicle = connect(‘192.168.1.114:14550’, wait_ready=True) where 192.168.1.114 is the IP address of the drone on the wifi network. This script is saved on my Connect.py script and I run it on my laptop (where normally I run QGC or APM)

Unfortunately this is not working. I tried both uptions: using tpc and upd (when using tpc I simply use ‘tcp:192.168.1.114:14550’ when calling the connect function). Both are not working. I get:

Case UDP:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "Connect.py", line 15, in <module>
    vehicle = connect('192.168.1.114:14550', wait_ready=False)
  File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/dronekit/__init__.py", line 3159, in connect
    handler = MAVConnection(ip, baud=baud, source_system=source_system, source_component=source_component, use_native=use_native)
  File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/dronekit/mavlink.py", line 130, in __init__
    self.master = mavutil.mavlink_connection(ip, baud=baud, source_system=source_system, source_component=source_component)
  File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/pymavlink/mavutil.py", line 1670, in mavlink_connection
    return mavudp(device, source_system=source_system, source_component=source_component, input=input, use_native=use_native)
  File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/pymavlink/mavutil.py", line 1015, in __init__
    self.port.bind((a[0], int(a[1])))
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/socket.py", line 228, in meth
    return getattr(self._sock,name)(*args)
socket.error: [Errno 49] Can't assign requested address

Case TCP:

[Errno 61] Connection refused sleeping
[Errno 22] Invalid argument sleeping
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "Connect.py", line 15, in <module>
    vehicle = connect('tcp:192.168.1.114:14550', wait_ready=False)
  File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/dronekit/__init__.py", line 3159, in connect
    handler = MAVConnection(ip, baud=baud, source_system=source_system, source_component=source_component, use_native=use_native)
  File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/dronekit/mavlink.py", line 130, in __init__
    self.master = mavutil.mavlink_connection(ip, baud=baud, source_system=source_system, source_component=source_component)
  File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/pymavlink/mavutil.py", line 1636, in mavlink_connection
    use_native=use_native)
  File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/pymavlink/mavutil.py", line 1169, in __init__
    self.do_connect()
  File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/pymavlink/mavutil.py", line 1189, in do_connect
    raise e
socket.error: [Errno 22] Invalid argument

The reason why I need to use dronekit-python is to get telemetry data from the drone and upload missions written in code, directly from my laptop. Do you know where am I doing a mistake? Should I configure something different in Arducopter?

Any ideas on this? :roll_eyes:

According to this mapping
http://ardupilot.org/dev/docs/sitl-simulator-software-in-the-loop.html

You should use tcp port 5760 (or 5763 if you map to serial 3) when connecting to a Ethernet FC

Hi, I also tried that but this is not working as well … anybody has ever succeeded with connecting to a drone running Navio2+RP3A+ over wifi using Dronekit?

What connection string do you use?

Hi same issue…can u help me on this?