Compass primary secondary question

Hello all!

I have the 3dr Aero-M and I am attempting to get it to fly a waypoint mission each day im making progress…typical uav issues. :unamused:

Based on log files it appears to have two compasses working together. One is in the GPS antenna ive been told but where is the 2nd?

When I do the live calibration I get low offset numbers from compass one (below 60) after it reports cal numbers for 1 it then displays calibration numbers for compass 2 which are about 70 , 110 and 380

When I do auto analysis of log files I get compass fail “Test: Compass = FAIL - Large change in mag_field (43.84%) Max mag field length (591.93) > recommended (550.00)”

Is the 2nd compass in the pixhawk controller?

How would I calibrate the 2nd compass any ideas why its offsets are so large compared to compass 1?

Thanks!

@GunJam,
I believe that the Aero-M has a Pixhawk as the flight controller and if so, there is an internal compass in the Pixhawk as well as the one in the GPS/Compass module.
Regards,
TCIII GM

Yes it indeed uses the pixhawk…The high offset values is there a way to tell which compass that is from?

is compass 2 in the GPS antenna?

Thanks!

@GunJam,
I do not know.
I was wondering the same thing myself today as I was doing a compass calibration on one of my Pixhawk equipped rovers.
Regards,
TCIII GM

per 3dr tech
compass 1 is GPS antenna
Compass 2 is Pixhawk

Compass 1 is primary. 2 is fallback it is normal to see high offsets especially on z axis for compass 2