Camera trigger does not turn off after switching to another flight mode

I noticed that that the camera trigger (DO_SET_CAM_TRIGG_DIST) doesn’t set to 0 if I’m changing the flight mode. If I interrupt a Auto Mission (survey) and switch to Loiter or RTL, the camera trigger is still active. Is there a possibility to automatically turn off the camera trigger if the flight mode is changed?
I noticed this problem before 4.1, maybe it’s the time to improve this situation with the release.

Many thanks in advance

Michael

This could be considered a feature rather than a bug. Sometimes it’s nice to be able to free fly while still getting shots on a distance interval.

I usually include a command in the auto mission to set trig distance to zero and manually go to that command if I want to interrupt an auto mission and stop taking photos. Sometimes I end up with a trail of photos back to the landing point but I’ve seen that as a minor annoyance.

I’m using the DO_SET_CAM_TRIGG_DIST command to release small bowls from a agricultural copter in a defined distance. If I have to interrupt the mission due to obstacles in the flight line and fly back home to modify the mission, the bowls will be dropped the hole RTL flight distance. In my case it’s a bug.

I agree that this doesn’t seem like the ideal behaviour and I’ve created an issue here https://github.com/ArduPilot/ardupilot/issues/17858. I think ideally we would disable the distance-based-camera-triggering automatically when exiting Auto if the camera triggering was started during Auto.

Certainly it should be disabled automatically when the mission ends normally although a workaround is to add a DO_SET_CAM_TRIGG_DIST command at the end of the mission with all zero values.

We should probably also disable it if an Auto mission is interrupted (e.g. user switches flight modes) although this will likely lead to users hitting another problem which is that we don’t restart “do commands” when re-entering Auto. So if the user switched back into Auto they would find the DO_SET_CAM_TRIGG_DIST command wasn’t operating.

This problem exists in Copter-4.0 as well though so I can’t promise that we will fix it in time for the 4.0 release but at least we have an issue for it now, thanks!

Check out parameter: https://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/parameters.html#cam-auto-only-distance-trigging-in-auto-mode-only
Ive made it years ago for exactly that purpose…

@Andre-K Thanks a lot, if I interrupt the auto mission with Loiter, then switch back to auto, will the camera trigger be enabled for the rest of the flight (in auto mission)?

@buckker yes, exactly. Think of it as: “the distance-trigging is inhibited while mode is not auto.”