Camera Gimbal setup on the PX4

Hi I tried setting up the camera gimbal on my quad using instructions from the website.

However I have no idea if the 5 pin port i am plugging my gimbal into is the correct one or not.
Can somebody who has set it up successfully upload a picture of the pin out i have to plug into?

Thanks!!!

@blackbloy,
Did you use these wiki instructions to setup your pitch and roll gimbals: copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/camera-mount/
Here is the layout of the PX4 IO board: plane.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-px4io-overview/
You should be using the USART2 connector at the end of the board away from the servo end. The connector is numbered 1 - 5 starting with pin 1 on the connector edge closest to the edge of the pwb. You should be using pins 2,3, and 5 (gnd).
Hope this helps.
Regards,
TCIII Admin

Thank you so much sir!

Just want to confirm what do you mean by the ground wire?

Currently i have the signal wires from the servos going into the appropriate pins but the white(positive) and the black(negative) from the servos are going to a BEC.

Would that be sufficient?

@blackbloy,
You need to have a common return between the PX4 and the servos. If you are using the BEC to power the servos and the PX4, then you have a common ground between the servos and the PX4 through the BEC.
However, since you are probably using the PX4 with the IO module, you are powering the PX4 with the IO power module.
If you are using the same battery to power both the PX4 power module and the BEC, which is powering the servos, then you have a common ground through the battery.
If you are using two different batteries, one to power the PX4 and the other to power the BEC, then you will have to make sure that you establish a common ground through pin 5 on the USART2 connector with the servos negative (black) wires since the BEC is powering the servos and not the PX4.
Regards,
TCIII ArduRover2 Developer

Thank you so much for the help sir. Will try it out and post the result.

[quote=“blackbloy”]Hi I tried setting up the camera gimbal on my quad using instructions from the website.

However I have no idea if the 5 pin port i am plugging my gimbal into is the correct one or not.
Can somebody who has set it up successfully upload a picture of the pin out i have to plug into?

Thanks!!![/quote]
what kind of gimbal are you using? do you have a quad or hex? i’m very interested in getting one (gimbal)!

Hey i am using a frame which comes with a servo gimbal.

Here is a link to it:

http://www.singahobby.com/?q=node/33015

You cant really complain for the price it comes in.

However after setting up everything, you realize that all of the wiring does cause a huge headache as it interferes with the PX4’s mag compass.
Seriously makes you consider buying the TeamBlacksheep’s frames. Especially the Discovery Pro.

Sir I did what you said and hooked up the ground for the servos to pin 5. Hooked up the appropriate signal wires and the power cable to one of the servo output ports.

The servo has power but it is staying one position only. It sometimes reverses its direction when i Click the reverse button it doesnt stabilise. It just stays locked in one position.

Moreover i dont have RC9 in my list of channels in my mission planner.

Could anyone who has tried out a servo gimbal set up using the PX4 help me out?
It would be much appreciated

An update:

I MANAGED TO GET THE TILT SERVO WORKING!!! :mrgreen: :laughing:

But i still have the problem of not having the option to select the RC9 channel in the roll function.
There is RC8 and RC10 but no RC9.

How can I fix it?

@blackbloy,
Here is your answer: diydrones.com/forum/topics/m … ra-gimbals
Regards,
TCIII Admin

Does this PX4 gimbal Control pin-out apply also for the Plane?
Or is it only valid for copter?

Thanks / Tomas

@snurre,
That is a good question. You might want to ask that question on the DIY Drones website: diydrones.com/forum/categories/a … orCategory
Regards,
TCIII Admin

[quote=“blackbloy”]An update:

I MANAGED TO GET THE TILT SERVO WORKING!!! :mrgreen: :laughing: [/quote]

Hi blackbloy,

what did you do to get it working? I am having trouble getting the pitch control to work at the moment as well.

cheers,

rhys

Sir rhysf,

I just spliced the ground wires for both the servos together. Had the signal pins go to the correct output.
And provided power from the ESC signal output area pins. The middle row of pins. I hope you understand what i am saying. If you don’t, tell me i will try to make a video and post up on youtube.