BLHeli32 ESC telemetry setup - how?

uart7 is not possible to alter due to the layout and all soldering done.
i tested it before this work was done with a gps unit on it. all worked. uart config and hardware is operational.

I experienced the bad CRC message months ago when I was on an older version of the blheli 32 firmware. Upgrading in July to the latest firmware eliminated that error message for me. I am using a single ESC on a Matek f405-wing. The only place I saw evidence of ESC telemetry was in DF logs and in the OSD.

that is what i see when i read the esc status. is it a last version? or same one you use?
hmm. bhheli suite i started says in its header - 32.6.0.4. should i try to flash it, or, is it even relevant, if current version in the ESCs is 32.4?

so, i tried to flash 32.6 into those esc. it went in ok. motors worked ok.
but, it is either a bug or who knows what it is - the leds on those escs stopped working - in the config utility it would light them up ok when you save settings, but after reboot leds would not light up anymore. as i got those ESCs specifically for those LEDs - it had to go, this 32.6 version.

also, CRC errors did not go away from MP and telemetry did not appear.
so, i for now disabled it onuart, i guess it is not something that may/will work reliably. tested uart again as well with gps just to prove my sanity.

so it is back to 32.4 with working leds and no telemetry. if anybody else will have those escs - pls let me know what the hell it wants in order to work ok.

Do you have a Matek FC (supported by ChibiOS) available as a bench test on one of those ESCs? On a low-numbered UART? That’s what I would try next.

I think I have a similar problem.
Got an “Omnibus F4 Nano V6” FC with a “Ori32 25A 4in1” ESC.
They are connected with the “4in1 socket” which also connects ESC telemetry TX-wire to UART4.

I activated UART4 in “OmnibusNanoV6/hwdef.h” and compiled Copter-3.6-RC12 branch.

UART_ORDER OTG1 USART6 USART1 UART4
PA1 UART4_RX UART4

Configuration in Mission Planner

SERVO_BLH_AUTO,1
SERVO_BLH_DEBUG,1
SERVO_BLH_MASK,15
SERVO_BLH_TRATE,10

UART4 seems to be mapped to Serial2:

SERIAL2_BAUD,115 (If I verify later parameter is changed automatically to “115200”! Is this correct?)
SERAIL2_PROTOCOL,16

Battery monitor set to BLHeli ESC

BAT_MONITOR,9

Then I get readings in Mission Planner Status-Tab for “battery_voltage” and “current”.
“battery_voltage” shows correct voltage.
“current” is way too low. I guess it shows only the current from one ESC.
The “esc*” readings are all zero!
There are no ESC messages in Mission Planner Messages-Tab.

The ESC are running version 32.4.

Any idea how to get the “esc*” readings and correct current?

if you have such a capability - can you pls try flashing betaflight to your omnibus to confirm if it will read correctly esc data in the power options tab?

1 Like

I have BLHeli32 working with a PixHawk and a SPEDIX 4in1 40A. I am getting some bad CRC messages with latest BLHeli - no observble impact.

I only get telemetry from BLHeli when I am connected to the AP via the USB port, none over the serial TELEM1 interface.
I am uploading a digital scope capture of the signal out for 1 channel.

BLHeli32 on scope

i forgot to give an update here. whole thing was a case of a mistaken diagnosis. i have concluded that i had no working telemetry based on the fact that an MP ‘status’ screen was showing nothing for ‘esc_xxxx’ fields. i presumed if ESC telemetry works - MP will show it. it was wrong. CRC messages are only shown if debug option is on in the SERVO. removing it suppresses those CRC errors. it is a problem in blheli code.

MP shows nothing in status screen - it is a problem in MP code.

ESC telemetry worked all along - a dataflash log did show me ESC 1,2,3,4 sections populated. and it should work in OSD too, but i did not check yet. but, as log shows it - it works.

1 Like

Yes, MP appears to know nothing about BLH telemetry.
Yes, DF logs are the place to look for evidence of working BLH telemetry.
Yes, new OSD code for F4-based ChibiOS-based flight controllers have option of showing BLH telemetery amps, temps, RPMs.
CRC error was fixed several months ago by BLH team. IMHO, if you are still seeing that, it’s not because you have a certain debug flag on, but because you’re running a version of BLH firmware that pre-dates the fix.

Kelly

As mjbunan said above, I also get the esc_* readings from “Omnibus F4 Nano V6” with “Ori32 25A 4in1” ESC, if I connect MP via USB port. With SIK-Radio Telemetry on serial port the readings are all “0”.

Current is still too low. This is also the case with Betaflight 3.5.1. Seems to be a problem of Ori32.

Thanks for your great work!

RainFly,
You should push your updated hwdef for the nano to master, or however we get it into the official release. It would be really helpful to have uart4 working for us non programmers!

thanks.

I second question about current readout from 4in1 esc. I got same problem now as FC only gets voltage. What is the way to setup - correctly - a current reading from esc?

The ESC I have SPEDIX 4in1 40A has an overall current sensor onboard with a 3.3 v analog output that is compatible with the PixHawk current sensor input. It also has a bat level signal - which would blow the PixHawk voltage sensor. I built a voltage divider (2 res and a cap) with values similar to the Attopilot sensor between the ESC and the PixHawk. To get voltage monitoring working (scale 25V to less than 3.3V)

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipNDkCnG6CpjwcCNk0uChx4iv5QGOPHlz4Q4g8vH

That link requires a google login… Probably best to post photos directly to the forum.

Someone mentioned their ori32 current reading was wrong…
That is a known issue w/ those ESC’s… they aren’t calibrated. But apparently you can calibrate the current sensor per ESC in the blheli configuration program. There’s a thread on rcgroup where people are talking about that.

i got it setup, finally, but it is confusing as hell.

BAT section still gets populated but voltage and current is left at 0 there. BAT2 gets populated correctly, but not clear if failsafe will work with it. i hate testing battery failsafes. it is the worst.

First, the wiki on blheli32 setup does not mention BAT_ settings at all. It also says to set the SERVO_BLH_POLES param, and that is not available. I will know if I have telemetry soon, but although a motor test in mission planner has the motors all turning the right way in the right location, blhelisuite now only detects ESC7 and ESC8, It should detect 1-6. I checked the mask value and it’s set to 63, which my calculator says is binary 111111. BRD_PWM_COUNT is 6. I’ll recheck telemetry right now.

1 Like

update, it was my fault. I set the SERVO_BLH_MASK for channels 1-6 instead of 9-14. The wiki could use a little more documentation, or I can add to it if I can figure out how. I’m on a pixhawk so probably no help for the OP.

Has anyone been able to get ESC telemetry to appear on MP over raido telemetry link? I can only see ESC data when I’m connected via usb. I also don’t have any current readings, but that may be because my ESCs don’t support this? ESC’s I’m using are nidici BLHeli-32 30A with Pixhawk FC.

1 Like

well, it is odd as channel should not matter. what you can check - if you setup battery to function 9 - to get it from the ESC - then it would show battery voltage no matter where you are in MP.