BLHeli32 ESC telemetry setup - how?

You are using the new KakuteF7Mini hwdef I created right?

Right, only added nodma to all uarts

FWIW I am using UART3 with DMA on GPS and it is working fine so far

i also got it all working, got esc telem working and showing current/voltage from esc, just made a mistake and bent props - and now need to wait until spare props will come from amazon. but, all worked, s.port feed into taranis worked.
nice little controller.

Cool! If you have telemetry working on 4.0, any interest in trying https://github.com/ArduPilot/ardupilot/pull/12544 to give me another datapoint? I haven’t flown this beyond a hover because of work/weather but initial indications are amazing.

1 Like

What version of BLHeli are you using? Do you have auto-telemetry turned on? What board are you using?

Turn off blh auto telemetry - it’s causing the CRC errors

See the PR I reference above, it includes a fix for the rpm calculation which is currently wrong in 4.0

That’s strange. You might be better turning off debug in that case.

i will try to get to it later. i actually found a gecko3 frame i had - need to donate away 3/4 of my projects pile :slight_smile: - so it flew amazing this morning. now i think what else to put on this kakute 3" frame. some front collision avoidance would be neat, but, most/all small i2c sensors are less than ideal.

and, RPMs are dead on - no issues, if you wandered about that. means are: 8281,8562,8300,8485.
i sat it on matek rubber posts and used provided rubber inserts - so, vibrations are with mean of 4, max at 11. pretty great for a small controller.

only baro location on top is not ideal - difficult to cover it.

also, just to confirm - i did not use yet the ESC they packaged FC with, i soldered it on the model that had older esc with a 32.4 blheli32 code - so, it worked perfectly fine with passthrough, i was able to connect to it from blhelisuite32.
gecko3kakute.param (21.9 KB)

Yeah I think some of the problems with blheli we are seeing are related to later versions

It’s a great board. I have it mounted on the top of my forward stack and a big bit of foam fits nicely between it and the top cover

Paathru has been flaky for me. I think I had to configure Dshot, press calibrate and then connect twice from blhelisuite. I also had weird ESC behaviour which turned out to be because I was overtaxing the BEC on the FC - I stopped powering the camera from the FC and all was magically good again.

I stay on 32.4. they were fixing different issues with newer ones, but on 32.6 color leds did not work correctly, and frankly i did not have much desire to do full regression test of other issues.

1 Like

in the blhelisuite_32 you should see the dropdown on the right, and it offers all those versions. at least it should.

well, it is a flame war topic. i like tekko32, but, it is not bulletproof. nothing is bulletproof, all escs can burn.
it also depends upon format.
if you`re making a larger model - my recommendation is to use kakute f7 AIO and use discrete separate ESC modules, not the 4in1 brick.

for models we talked about here - small and ultrasmall - -there was never much choice at all. there was only 1 controller to use with 20x20 mount format - omnibus nano v6, and it usually was paired with Ori32 25A esc. not reliable at all, and not perfect, but, nano v6 worked very well with it. now we have this new great kakute f7 mini - it is a new best thing for small models.

usual culprit and an additional complexity was to find ESC that actually works with 2S lipos at min voltage. that i did not do myself much, as i did not make any 1 or 2 S models, i only played with fast ones - 3S and 4S.

i used those:
http://www.holybro.com/product/tekko32-f3-esc-35a/

http://www.holybro.com/product/tekko32-f3-4in1-40a-esc/

out of 4in1 ones i had 4 of them, one of them burned out. 3 others are fine. single ones never had issues. of ‘kotleta’ ones i have no clue, not sure what is the benefit, if any, i like F3 based ones better.

that`s a big one, here is what i just did today - transplanted kakute mini into this one, my current favorite, gecko 4".
it flies on 4S 850mha, quite stupidly overpowered, and a lot of fun. may be worth swapping ESC on that one from 25A to 45A, but, will see. those motors i think max out at 12A or 8A, but, i just do not like Ori32 that is in there - it lies about current badly and shows voltage as .2V lower than real. not the end of the world, but, annoying.

Hi,
could you please post export of all params from the 3" model where that ESC driven harmonic filter is enabled? it would help to have a reference to see what all options are supposed to be set to.

i just flew my 4" model with the kakute mini - it suffers from spike of vibrations at high speeds, 3" was not like that at all. i want to try this notch filter prior to tuning it.