BATMon Kickstarter - Add Smart Battery monitoring to a non-smart battery

No sorry
I have never built a pack as yet. Just getting the bits together, however if there is a problem I would maybe use Mu-Metal on the top as a shield from the Magnetic affects of the battery. I have used this material before with great success on other drones with different issues related to magnetic field.

rickyg32 , Yes i contacted them in 2019 …Great support and knowhow !. However for the price of a good shielding in my case , i could buy several LIPO’s so my LI-Ion project is on hold for now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lETyLpXfLPU&list=PL8uudE6pkbWd4qKz1AIghM5HusV72RQ8g&index=5

Nice looking battery. Very impressive. Sorry I don’t recall how much the Mu Metal was so it might not be the solution. I bought it to solve a small mag issue some years back.

Again cool battery

Don’t mind the people declaring this is useless. This absolutely has a purpose and numerous advantages. Maybe not everyone needs it. But the notion that there is no benefit over a dumb power brick is false.

Just having cell voltages monitored by in flight through the GCS is a huge improvement in operator situational awareness. Individual cells going bad can be indicated long before any other signs become apparent. Also, this allows you have the real capacity of the battery automatically populate BATT_CAPACITY on boot. Without a smart battery, that parameter will only be what you hand key in, and resets to full capacity on every boot.

How do you set the batteries full charge capacity and voltage parameters? Also, does this monitor current flowing back in during recharge?

Any word on the drawing files. Getting close to pushing the button on the hardware to build a battery… Would love to include the smart part.

see that I am a poet and didn’t know it

@echogee hope you get funded. I backed your project since I believe it is an important part of an easy to use system.

1 Like
  • The battery capacities are currently set on EEPROM in factory, but will use the I2C interface to update that for ship rev.
  • It monitors the charge flowing back.

By what means? What will be setting that?

@rickyg32 @Pedals2Paddles @CraigElder

We are making a goal to move towards an OpenSource(GPLv3) firmware for BatMon if we get funded AND have enough wellwishers/supporters to hit either of the milestones below:

1. Atleast 300 total Kickstarter backers of any reward
  2. $10000 total raised on Kickstarter

The project will live as a healthy opensource project if there are enough supporters. If everyone on this page ask 15 friends to support, we’ll be reach the goal.

1 Like

Ordered my XT90-I connectors.
Starting to collect the bits

@echogee may i suggest you post some demo video of it in action with arducopter.

An arduino with I2C interface can change the Battery settings etc. Any uC with I2C can in theory do this, but Arduino is what we’ll use to program for the ship version

Consider looking at ArduPilot’s Lua scripting interface: you might be able to provide a script that would allow users to update those settings themselves

1 Like

Well dang I just got a notification that they didn’t reach their funding goal. I guess that means this project is DOA. Thats a shame I was looking forward to incorporating this into my battery build.

Dang even my XT90-i connectors just showed up today.

You can look at my github, there you can build one yourself.

Just save your values into to variables.
I recommend an Arduino Pro Micro, since it has 8 analog ports (6 cells, temperature and current) + I2C.
I plan to design a board and release the full code, but right now I’m just to lazy.

1 Like

We are sad the campaign didn’t get funded. But we promise the XT90 connector wouldn’t go waste :slight_smile:
We are seeing how to get this off the ground.

For anyone interested in BatMon, it will be a great help if you fill this quick survey to understand your battery cell and current needs: https://forms.gle/FFhWD4kAhxRCv6rK9
I promise it’ll take not more than 1-2 minutes

1 Like

Did the survey.
Fingers crossed you can get the project going.

1 Like

Any news on the Batmon front

@rickyg32 We have a hardware unit for 6-10 cells and the software will be opensourced.
To use the unit, you would require access to

1. AVR dragon or another JTAG interface.
  2. Basic electronic workbench for programming the Batmon

I’ll reach out to people who have filled up https://forms.gle/FFhWD4kAhxRCv6rK9 . I case I missed you, please PM.