Bad ahrs

After I upgraded from 3.2.0 to 3.2.3 I started getting a BAD AHRS message on power up about 20% of the time and it always clears when I cycle power. After reading other forums I see that is very common.
What is the root cause of this?
Will it be fixed in V3.3?
diydrones.com/forum/topics/bad-a … %3A1941670

If I don’t look at the telemetry everything looks normal. Is it safe to just go ahead and fly? Where I work that was called a false fault.

The scary thing is that I get a solid green light. If I did not have telemetry for that flight I would never know.

Is it safe to fly or do I always need to bring up TM and verify I don’t have that BAD AHRS message? I would really like to know as the answer to this.

:question:

Its mostly likely the EKF being unhappy about something. In APM there are 2 flight control algorithms - DCM which is the original one and the new EKF one. EKF is far more accurate.
Code is shortly going into master so when the EKF is unhappy it reports why its unhappy. Then the ground control station software will need to be updated to read that message and display it in some meaningful way to the user.

At the time of writing there is a bug in master around the EKF but only some users get it - you could be experiencing this. Its being worked on and should be fixed in the not too distant future.

Logs always help us. However for this issue you need to enable logging before arming as that’s when the problem occurs. APM doesn’t normally log before arming. To enable this you need to set LOG_BITMASK to 65536. On a Pixhawk you will probably find its set to its default of 65535. If you do make this change and you replicate the problem again please send through the data flash logs - they would be very useful.

Thanks, Grant

[quote=“gmorph”]Its mostly likely the EKF being unhappy about something. In APM there are 2 flight control algorithms - DCM which is the original one and the new EKF one. EKF is far more accurate.
Code is shortly going into master so when the EKF is unhappy it reports why its unhappy. Then the ground control station software will need to be updated to read that message and display it in some meaningful way to the user.

At the time of writing there is a bug in master around the EKF but only some users get it - you could be experiencing this. Its being worked on and should be fixed in the not too distant future.

Logs always help us. However for this issue you need to enable logging before arming as that’s when the problem occurs. APM doesn’t normally log before arming. To enable this you need to set LOG_BITMASK to 65536. On a Pixhawk you will probably find its set to its default of 65535. If you do make this change and you replicate the problem again please send through the data flash logs - they would be very useful.

Thanks, Grant[/quote]
Any update on this issue?

After a lot of flying my Pixhawk always does it before the first flight of the day before it has a GPS lock. After that it always work perfect all day.

Hopefully they have that bug fixed for the final release of V3.3.

Thanks. I was hoping that’s what it is.