Autotune won't engage

Cool! Here you go. Remember, it was a bit breezy. The params are the ones I flew with this morning, including @dkemxr changes to the ATC_RAT_PIT_* and ATC_RAT_PIT_RLL*. I have since made @xfacta recommended changes and will fly with those next. Unfortunately, I was not able to spend too much time on the log today.

Any parameter tweaks suggestions are greatly appreciated. But just as importantly, explain the tweaks and what else I should be looking for!

Progress. The Z vibes are too high.
This should not be at 0, MOT_THST_EXPO. Refer to the Initial Tune Parameters.
Default LOG_BITMASK is 176126. Set that going forward.
But, the terrible output oscillation is gone so you can advance the tuning process.
You can set these for the Notch filter:
INS_HNTCH_ENABLE,1 (then refresh parameters)
INS_HNTCH_ATT,40
INS_HNTCH_BW,42
INS_HNTCH_FM_RAT,0.75
INS_HNTCH_FREQ,84
INS_HNTCH_HMNCS,3
INS_HNTCH_MODE,1
INS_HNTCH_OPTS,0
INS_HNTCH_REF,0.15

Then make another AltHold hover flight to review the results.

Ok, I set MOT_THST_EXPO to 0.65. I think I changed it to 0 because I learned from the RC EXPO settings that a linear slope of 0, 25, 50, 75 and 100 was normal and Mission Planner said 0.0 was linear. Silly me.

Set LOG_BITMASK to 176126. I had two choices and after the ‘ridiculous’ settings I went with Mission Planners advice to just “enable all basic log types to 65535.” Figures I’d get it wrong…

I read up on the INS_HNTCH_* params and though I don’t understand any of them I did notice this definition: INS_HNTCH_BW: This parameter sets the bandwidth of the notch filter. It should be set to approximately half the hover throttle value. My MOT_THST_HOVER is 0.1471004 which was probably set by MOT_HOVER_LEARN (after I set it to 0.17 per your suggestion). Does any of that need to change?

I’ll try to get another flight in tomorrow but will wait until later in the day. I think it was breezy this morning because the rising sun was warming up the air.

@dkemxr , @droniedarko , @xfacta

Gotta love chatGPT!

What is the Harmonic Notch filter? Please explain it in high school level terms.

*Sure, I’ll do my best to simplify this concept. *

Imagine you’re in a room with a lot of people talking all at once. It’s hard to hear and understand what your friend is saying to you. Now, imagine if you had a special device that could silence everyone in the room except your friend. Suddenly, their voice is clear and easy to understand. This is essentially what a notch filter does, but with vibrations instead of voices.

In the context of a drone, the motors produce a lot of “noise” or vibrations. Some of this noise happens at the same frequency (kind of like the pitch of a sound) over and over again, especially the noise coming from the motors spinning and the propellers moving through the air.

The Harmonic Notch Filter is a smart system that identifies these consistent noise frequencies (like identifying the voice of your friend in the noisy room). Once it knows what it’s looking for, it can filter out or “silence” these particular frequencies, making it easier for the drone’s flight controller to understand and react to the important signals it’s receiving, just like how it was easier for you to hear your friend.

By silencing the predictable motor and propeller noise, the Harmonic Notch Filter helps the drone to fly more smoothly and accurately. It’s a very helpful tool in drone technology, but it needs to be set up correctly to match the specific characteristics of your drone’s motors and propellers.

You won’t go far on the thread posting a Chat Bot response. I would suggest deleting that.

Regarding Notch BW, it’s half of the 1st harmonic center frequency not the Mot_thst_hover value, you misunderstood the context.

It was an excellent explanation to my prompt and others may benefit from it.

Lighten up, dude!

Lighten up?
All other chat bot content had been deleted by moderators.

@droniedarko
Hey Brian, Dave,

I flew an ALT HOLD flight with @dkemxr Harmonic Notch parameters then decided to try AUTO TUNE. For the first time it started its auto tune dance but it looks like a battery fail safe triggered before it was done. The alt hold flight was maybe 3 minutes and the auto tune flight was about 7m30s for a total of 10-11 minutes on that battery. I can’t tell by looking at the log what might be causing the battery drain (don’t really know what to look for).

It looks like the ATUN Min, Max was parallel with Targ with a small variation for most of the time but had some radical variations a few times. I know they should be as close to Targ as possible but I don’t know what an acceptable difference would be.

Here are the log and param files. Have a crack at them if you can and let me know what you see.

Thanks!