AUTO TAKEOFF burned my motor. Why?

I had done an ESC calibration by the usual mode of plugging in the battery at high throttle and lowering it to zero after hearing the beeps. After that the throttle worked as expected in MANUAL / FBWA modes. Went to the field to fly but I had to manually ARM (due to a BAD COMPASS HEALTH problem which to be honest dont understand as I dont have a compass and I have dissabled it…) Anyways I have full telemetry so I just selected the TAKEOFF action on MissionPlanner and after that the motor went from 0 to 100 and burned my motor. Why did it burn my motor if the throttle on my radio stick was ok??

Well, burning the motor is not the fault of the autopilot but your power system.
You should look at ESC, motor, and propeller to whether they are compatible with each other or not.
Most of the time it is related to faulty ESC or you damaged the windings of the motor with screws while assembling it to the frame.
Although probably it is not related to your issue, I recommend you to take a look at the wiki page for automatic takeoff for the plane.

1 Like

Hmm… I think you might be right. Checked ESC seems burned too… Is a stock nano talon EVO so the motor and ESC are compatible. Also I guess it went from 0 to 100 because I triggered the action as opposed to waiting for me to hand throw it?

I really can’t say much without seeing onboard logs.
They are *.BIN files located on the SD card.
But, when you change the flight mode to TAKEOFF or to AUTO if a plan contains the first command as TAKEOFF, it immediately tries to gain altitude by raising the throttle.
From 0% to 100% can be slowed down with TKOFF_THR_SLEW or THR_SLEWRATE (if TKOFF_THR_SLEW is 0) but this might not be a good idea in situations when you hand launch your vehicle.
If the motor is a powerful one, you can limit the throttle percentage in automatic flight modes using THR_MAX (let’s say 80%).
The limitation is not valid in MANUAL mode.
But just want to comment on this, you shouldn’t be in a situation like this if you don’t have a hardware fault (faulty electronics, propeller or motor stuck at 100% throttle during takeoff, etc.).
Also, make sure you didn’t exceed the battery voltage limitations on both motor and ESC.
Hope this helps…
Regards…