Async and Gopro integration?

Hi,

Many of us use GoPro or Xiaomi cameras. They feature live view via RTSP stream accessible via wifi. It should be easily possible to connect to Gopro’s AP from APSync and then forwarding to Gopro’s RSP stream on port 8080. Latency may not be too great but it may be better than using RPI’s camera.

Many of us use GoPro or Xiaomi cameras. They feature live view via RTSP
stream accessible via wifi. It should be easily possible to connect to
Gopro’s AP from APSync and then forwarding to Gopro’s RSP stream on port
8080. Latency may not be too great but it may be better than using RPI’s
camera.

Is any stream available over USB from the GoPro?

Nope. Only via RTSP and wifi. In my opinion it’s better because the stream is already in the right format. Simple IP tables would do. Wifi should handle being both AP and client.

I suspect what Peter is getting at is that if we use the companion computer’s wifi chip to connect to the gopro then we can’t stream the go-pro video to the ground station using that same chip. so we could get the video off the gopro but couldn’t send it on to the ground station.

In general I like the idea of course.

Nope. You can run MASTER and STA mode at the same time. You can create a peudo device off wlan0 and join it to another network while putting wlan0 into MASTER mode. That’s how routers can be used as wireless bridges/repeaters. I did this before with hostapd. I’ll see if I can do this when time allows.

Ok, so it works but the quality of live video from Gopro Hero4 is terrible. Xiaomi Yi’s live stream is a lot better. I had to do the following:

• uninstall network-manager (didn’t like the new device)
  • switch to transitional network setup
  • install hostapd
  • add udev entry to add ap0 from phy0 during boot
  • enable IP forward
  • forward ports from ap0 (access point) to wlan0 (connected to camera)