ARSPD_FBW_MAX definitions inconsistent across documentation

Hello, I have a query on Ardupilot’s definition of ARSPD_FBW_MAX:

This is the definition from Arduplane parameter list:

“Maximum airspeed demanded in automatic throttle modes. Should be set slightly less than level flight speed at THR_MAX and also at least 50% above ARSPD_FBW_MAX to allow for accurate TECS altitude control.”

The definition from the TECS tuning page:

“This is the maximum airspeed (in metres/second) that the autopilot will use in auto-throttle modes. It should be set to the highest speed that the aircraft can achieve in level flight with the throttle set to THR_MAX. It must be sufficiently above the ARSPD_FBW_MIN value to allow the autopilot to accurately control altitude using airspeed (at least 50% above ARSPD_FBW_MIN is recommended). For electric aircraft, make sure this number is achievable at the end of flight when the battery voltage has reduced.”

For the parameter list, I suppose that “50% above ARSPD_FBW_MAX” is a typo (it should be ARSPD_FBW_MIN, otherwise it makes no sense). But how about the relationship to THR_MAX? The parameter list states that ARSPD_FBW_MAX should be slightly less than the level flight speed at THR_MAX, while the TECS documentation states that they should be equal. Does anybody know which definition is correct?

Really, nobody addressed this? I am staring at the same exact definition and confused as hell. I guess I just roll the dice and see if my plane crashes. C’mon guys, get the documentation right! How are we supposed to trust this???

The correct place to raise issues with documentation is in the wiki GitHub repo, as per the links on every page.
Can you open an issue for this?

Apologies for the really, really late response, issue has been opened: https://github.com/ArduPilot/ardupilot_wiki/issues/2587

1 Like