Arming in Plane

Thank you tridge and devs for all the hard work.
I’m glad to see an arming option now, thank you Michael Day for that. I’ve been flying APM multirotor for a couple years now and was very surprised that that hadn’t been implemented until now. I almost chopped my fingers off the first time I started my Arduplane in my basement and it tried to RTL on me.

One comment/suggestion:
Since you borrowed the Arming feature from ArduCopter, why not use the same stick movement to arm??? On AC you hold the stick bottom right to arm; for Arduplane you made it bottom left… why? Not a huge deal but after arming that way for two years now, it threw me off the first time (x 10) I tried to arm. Why not keep all APM functions as similar as possible for us that switch between platforms?
Thank you.
Elvis

[quote=“Elvis”]Since you borrowed the Arming feature from ArduCopter, why not use the same stick movement to arm??? On AC you hold the stick bottom right to arm; for Arduplane you made it bottom left… why? Not a huge deal but after arming that way for two years now, it threw me off the first time (x 10) I tried to arm. Why not keep all APM functions as similar as possible for us that switch between platforms?
[/quote]
It is in fact the same, ie. it looks for the rudder channel going to a high value while throttle is low. The difference is probably that you have rudder reversed in the transmitter (or have RC4_REV set to -1).
There is however a difference with arming between copter and plane - on plane you can’t disarm with rudder/throttle. That is because zero throttle with hard left rudder is used for some normal flight with plane (eg. when entering a deliberate spin) and we didn’t want that to cause a disarm.
Cheers, Tridge

[quote=“tridge”][quote=“Elvis”]Since you borrowed the Arming feature from ArduCopter, why not use the same stick movement to arm??? On AC you hold the stick bottom right to arm; for Arduplane you made it bottom left… why? Not a huge deal but after arming that way for two years now, it threw me off the first time (x 10) I tried to arm. Why not keep all APM functions as similar as possible for us that switch between platforms?
[/quote]
It is in fact the same, ie. it looks for the rudder channel going to a high value while throttle is low. The difference is probably that you have rudder reversed in the transmitter (or have RC4_REV set to -1).
There is however a difference with arming between copter and plane - on plane you can’t disarm with rudder/throttle. That is because zero throttle with hard left rudder is used for some normal flight with plane (eg. when entering a deliberate spin) and we didn’t want that to cause a disarm.
Cheers, Tridge[/quote]

Thank you for pointing that out Tridge, I’ll check it today. And thanks again for all the hard work.