ArduCopter feature request: land ASAP when throttle stick is zero

Is it possible to get that if the pilot suppose instantly pushes the throttle stick down quickly then the drone will land quickly but it will crash land, so is there any way that the drones should not crash land when the pilot pushes the throttle to low quickly. Here I mean that the drone should sense if the descent rate is more and it may crash land, it should not land and stop before 5m or something like that. I hope you understood what I wanted to say. It should not land the drone if the descent rate is more even though the pilot forces the throttle stick to go down. I know that the pilot would of course not do that but yeah, it should be a safety matter. It will be only for safety. Do I need any additional sensors ? Is this safety feature even possible? Please help me.

Is it possible to get that if the pilot suppose instantly pushes the throttle stick down quickly then the drone will land quickly but it will crash land, so is there any way that the drones should not crash land when the pilot pushes the throttle to low quickly. Here I mean that the drone should sense if the descent rate is more and it may crash land, it should not land and stop before 5m or something like that. I hope you understood what I wanted to say. It should not land the drone if the descent rate is more even though the pilot forces the throttle stick to go down. I know that the pilot would of course not do that but yeah, it should be a safety matter. It will be only for safety. Do I need any additional sensors ? Is this safety feature even possible? Please help me .

Is this a proposed feature for stabilized mode only? It’s certainly not something you would ever want in Acro, I can vouch for that :slight_smile:.

You can do this with a small lua script that detects if throttle is zero, and activates landing mode.

As @seattleiteFPV says, which flight modes are you thinking of?

My immediate thought is that it could be difficult to know the difference between a pilot mistake (which I think this enhancement request is trying to protect against) and a situation where the pilot knowingly wants to bring the vehicle down quickly. In general we try not to interfere with the pilot’s instructions.

Hi.

I am not thinking for any modes. It should work in ll modes leaving the Acro mode. Why I am asking this feature is that suppose sometimes it may happen that the pilot lowers the throttle and drone crash lands so is there any possibility that this feature is possible in all modes except Acro ?

Any possibility of this feature ?

Alt hold has similar effect, but also when pushing up it doesn’t jump into the air, rather securely. Try that, maybe it will work for you, also it holds the altitude when throttle is in center, I don’t think this is a feature you want in Stabilize for safety and definitely don’t want it in Acro! But as people mentioned above, you can use lua script to achieve this in other modes.

Note: Loiter works similar to alt hold, just holds position too with GPS, not only altitude

I think that once you understand the flight modes you will not need this. And you will see that this is counter productive. But like I said, until then, you can program it yourself using lua.

I do not see this feature in the main C++ code anytime soon, and I think @rmackay9 agrees with me.

1 Like

You know, I’ve heard this request before actually but worded differently… the request was a gentle landing even when the pilot pulls the stick all the way down. I think DJI drones may do this using the lidar. So it’s not a protection against a pilot mistake but rather it allows the pilot to not have to be very careful when landing in Loiter (or other althold-ish modes). They just jam the throttle down full and it lands as quickly as it can while still being safe.

I think this could be implemented as an option feature. We could call it the “soft landing” feature.

1 Like

I’ve created an issue here for “soft landing”. All feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks for the suggestion. No promises on when we could actually implement it but it’s on the list at least which is a start… we would make it optional of course so users can turn it on/off.

1 Like

I could imagine to combine this with a bottom-facing rangefinder. Otherwise this feature would have to step into quite early (at about 5m) due to the inaccurateness of the height estimation (baro drift etc.) or terrain differences between starting point and other points where you pull down the stick.

1 Like

I think this can be easily implemented as a LUA script…

Same. i think we should use a terabee 60m as a sensor and this could detect if the drone is descending quickly, then the drone should land properly and also if the drone is descending, it should take care of below obstacles.

Hi,

The thing I mean is that currently I am using terabee 60m evo bottom sensor for obstacle avoidance and terrain following, so I think we can implement some code so that we can get the values from the sensor from any serial port or any other ports and write a code for that. I think, this should be happening which I mean is that :-

If the pilot pushes the throttle to low, and the drone senses rapid fall, then let it fall untill upto a certain altitude, and when the drone terabee sensor senses that there is a obstacle ( It can be a land, such as soil or plane surface and roads or terrace of our house or anything else ), it should not land the drone, instead if it senses that there is something below, then it should not go down even if the drone pilot pushes the throttle to below. Here I mean that the drone pilot rapidly pushes the throttle below and the drone should not land, instead it should stop and not go down, only in case if there is a land or other obstacles.
If the throttle is being moved slowly to low level, then only the drone should land else it should not land. Can it be possible ?

Hi,

The thing I mean is that currently I am using terabee 60m evo bottom sensor for obstacle avoidance and terrain following, so I think we can implement some code so that we can get the values from the sensor from any serial port or any other ports and write a code for that. I think, this should be happening which I mean is that :-

If the pilot pushes the throttle to low, and the drone senses rapid fall, then let it fall untill upto a certain altitude, and when the drone terabee sensor senses that there is a obstacle ( It can be a land, such as soil or plane surface and roads or terrace of our house or anything else ), it should not land the drone, instead if it senses that there is something below, then it should not go down even if the drone pilot pushes the throttle to below. Here I mean that the drone pilot rapidly pushes the throttle below and the drone should not land, instead it should stop and not go down, only in case if there is a land or other obstacles.
If the throttle is being moved slowly to low level, then only the drone should land else it should not land. Can it be possible?