APM1 arming failsafe not working?

For some obscure reason new posts are not available in the v2.78 forum so I’m posting this here.

APM1 and v2.78.

If ARMING_REQUIRE is set to 0, 1 or 2 my motor still starts.

I have rebooted the APM1 but throttle is still live!

[quote=“Graham Dyer”]If ARMING_REQUIRE is set to 0, 1 or 2 my motor still starts.

I have rebooted the APM1 but throttle is still live![/quote]
The APM1 is unusual in that it has a hardware mux connected to channel 8. When channel 8 is above 1750 the hardware multiplexer passes through the first 4 channels to the servos directly, with no software control. This was done back when the APM software was less reliable, and was meant to give a guaranteed ability to fly the plane manually even if the APM software crashed.
To avoid that mux you need to use a different channel for your flight mode. Try using channel 5 (and in fact this is why copter uses 5 as the default).
If you change FLTMODE_CH to 5 and setup your transmitter so that your mode switch is on channel 5, then you can have channel 8 below 1750 (or just don’t connect it) and you will find that the arming code then works on APM1.
I’ll add a note to the manual for APM1 users.
Cheers, Tridge

I’ve fixed that now - thanks for letting me know!
I’m still getting used to the admin controls on these forums.
Cheers, Tridge

Thanks Tridge, good to know. Much appreciated!

Thanks Tridge, it works great, this a really important feature.

Is it possible to disarm with the rudder stick or is it only with the MP?

[quote=“Graham Dyer”]Thanks Tridge, it works great, this a really important feature.

Is it possible to disarm with the rudder stick or is it only with the MP?[/quote]
Hi Graham,
We decided not to allow disarming with rudder as zero throttle with full left rudder is something that pilots do in flight with planes (eg. when going into a spin, or lining up for a cross-wind landing). The risk that you would accidentally disarm is too high.
Cheers, Tridge