AC3.4 Flight Test with Fly Off

Did a test flight today with 3.4 dev and had the copter fly off on me. Was flying in stabilize mode but notice in the log that the GPS drifted at the point where it flew off in the opposite direction of the variance.
I didn’t think Stabilize mode used the GPS at all.
Because I use a Pixracer and the LED does not work can not tell when GPS is good and just take off. Link to the log with the issue at 50 marked with channel 9 going to 2000.
56.bin

Mike

Also had compass offset too high message after repowering the copter. I see in the log that the offsets for MAG jumped after switching to Stabilize mode before takeoff. Don’t think that’s suppose to happen.

Mike

Tried the same test with a Pixhawk flight controller and the same thing happens. Copter flies away and crashes. Compass offsets get changed to random values.
5307.bin

Mike

Has this been addressed in Master already or the code that causes the copter to fly away has not been fixed yet?

This has not been fix in the latest development release 3.4. It’s an EKF bug that is caused by the GPS not being stable before take off in Stabilize mode. If you can arm in Position hold or Loiter mode the GPS is probably stable. Also if you don’t have a GPS your good to go.

Mike

Thanks for the testing and reports.
I think this issue is resolved. There were certainly some EKF issues that could cause the vehicle to bank heavily and fly (for a bit until it crashed into something) but that was in the Copter-3.4-dev (i.e. non-released version). We think these issues are resolved in Copter-3.4-rc1 which is the first beta, just released today.