AC 3.2 RC1 Compass Cali of int. /external compass HowTo?

Hello , congrats concerning the release of AC 3.2 RC1 !

My question is : How is the calibration of the internal compass to be done?

As far as I understood, AC with EKF enabled is using the internal compass, just in case the external fails… a nice feature !

But since the internal compass is not calibrated (and we can´t use the values of the external) , I don´t know the procedure you guys recommend for calibrating both. I just read this: github.com/diydrones/MissionPlanner/issues/425 but did not really understand …how to go on.

Furthermore, are there any further (different) calibration requirements related to enabled EKF ?

PS: I know, you might move this post to AC 3.2

[quote=“gervais”]Hello , congrats concerning the release of AC 3.2 RC1 !

My question is : How is the calibration of the internal compass to be done?

As far as I understood, AC with EKF enabled is using the internal compass, just in case the external fails… a nice feature !

But since the internal compass is not calibrated (and we can´t use the values of the external) , I don´t know the procedure you guys recommend for calibrating both. I just read this: github.com/diydrones/MissionPlanner/issues/425 but did not really understand …how to go on.

Furthermore, are there any further (different) calibration requirements related to enabled EKF ?

PS: I know, you might move this post to AC 3.2[/quote]

I havent heard more on calibration of the internal compass since I made that post. I just unplugged the external to get the values for internal. I know they’re expecting a couple RC versions of 3.2 so I’m sure it will get ironed out. Another area of concern is tuning the ATC RP and Yaw gains. They control the max rotational acceleration and rate. Unless the recently changed the default values they will make your copter move slowly. Good for a big camera ship but for smaller quads those values need to be cranked up to have the same agility as 3.1. I read that autotune will be changed to adjust these based on the copters performance. I have a relatively slow moving quad (long endurance quad with 16" props) and I had to turn the values up slightly still.

Also make sure you do an accel cal after you update so it properly calibrates both sets of accelerometers. Very important for anyone trying 3.2! Calibrating the internal mag is less critical since it would only use it if the external failed but it does use both accelerometers at the same time.

One last note I have is land detection does not always work so make sure you are ready to switch to stabilized if it doesn’t want to autoland and stay on the ground.

Thx for your comment. I will try this version with my PIXHAWK@F450 cheapo first anyhow. EKF assigned to a switch,-) Don´t want to damage one of my expensive birds.

[quote=“cctaylor410”]
One last note I have is land detection does not always work so make sure you are ready to switch to stabilized if it doesn’t want to autoland and stay on the ground.[/quote]

Does this apply to NON EKF as well ?