About Lidar Lite v3 support

I want to buy a LidarLite v3, but I am using ArduCopter v3.4
My question: does LidarLite V3 work on ArduCopter v3.4?

Is this already available in 3.5.0-rc8? I’m trying to configure Maxbotix Analog sonar as a simple forward-facing collision avoidance sensor, so I defined it in RNGFND2 as oriented forward (RNGFND2_ORIENT=0) but seems like vehicle doesn’t know about it: no reaction on obstacles ahead. The Sonar itself seems working though: if I change orientation to 25, “sonarrange” in Mission Planner shows correct distance then. Are there some other settings I should be aware of?

@arifg,

To make the forward facing range finder be used for object avoidance the PRX_ parameters also need to be set. In particular, PRX_TYPE must be “4”.
Documenting this is on the wiki updates to-do list so I’ll try and get to that soon because we are getting close to the final release.
Thanks for the report by the way.

1 Like

Thank you! Will experiment with that.

My LIDAR-Lite arrived today. I bought it for a non-aerial application, but on the side I will be plugging it in to Arduplane latest on a Radian XL. Fingers crossed…

Kelly

Has this been documented yet? I’m also trying to use analog sonar for collision avoidance but can’t find any details about all the parameters to set?
Thanks

Do you have a link for the wiki for wiring the v3? Im awaiting my lidar lite v3 in the mail and am trying to get prepped to set it up.

@rmackay9 scratch that question. Im just an idiot and didnt scroll down far enough haha But according to the Lambdrive link above, we can power the Lidar Lite via an extra aux port on the pixhawk? Instead of a separate BEC? Also, Ive been seeing that people either set the RNGFND_TYPE to 3 or 15, with 15 apparently skipping version detection and acting like a v2. Why would you want it set to 15 and it acting like a v2? Isnt that the point of getting the updated version is so it runs better? Or am I missing some information?

Thanks

@zwheat
Garmin has no HDW_VERSION nor SW_VERSION. mapped into registers, this is why we have to force v2 and skipping the test.
Other difference between Garmin Lidar lite v3 and lidarlite v2 is in the method to read the registers, v3 need a split transfer method take a look here:
https://github.com/ArduPilot/ardupilot/blob/master/libraries/AP_RangeFinder/AP_RangeFinder_PulsedLightLRF.cpp#L154

Hi guys,

Returning to this chat after several months off, rebuilding the drone and not having weather to fly it. My boss and I put a new Lidar Lite v3 on a smaller quad for some testing, and the Lidar is working extremely well for altitude hold while in one position or moving through a waypoint file.

The problem we are having, is after we arm it and take off, when we switch to AUTO, the quad races for the sky, and wont stop unless we flip it back to loiter, and decrease the throttle. Then if we go back to AUTO, it flies the path just like it is supposed to.

Any idea whats going on? We double checked out setting in the waypoint file and it should only go about 4 meters up and head to the first waypoint when we go into AUTO, but it isnt the first time around.

If this isnt a Lidar Lite issue and you think it is a Pixhawk issue, I can switch where I am putting the questions

Hello
Can you attach a log file so we can look at it?
Di you updated the firmware release on PixHawk ?
Have you tried in guided mode ?

Hi,
after reading all this discussion my lidarlite v3, connected via I2C, work correctly on pixhawk both as object avoidance than as Terrain Following.
I really don’t like limitation of rangefinder to work only in one direction so I’m trasforming LL3 in a rotating tower adding a motor and a slip ring.
Will it work?
How to configure RNGFND_ORIENT in order to work at 360°?

Thanks,
Emanuele

Hello
I have question
The Lidar sensor that I have is checked for operation through Proximity.
The value does not come from the optional hardware in the initial setup.
Is there any part I’m missing? Or is it working right?

Hi, I follow this community with interest … I purchased lidar v3 but before installing it I would like to know some things from those who have already had experience with this: 1) the best way to connect it is via pwm or via 1c2, 2) after having connected the lidar v3 you have to activate some buttons on the radio … on the remote control using either the 1c2 or the pwm way ??? My installation takes place on a quadricopter with pix 2.4.8 and a futaba 14 sg radio.
Thanks

Good day, after many tests I’ve removed and banned that sensor, now I’m using the teraranger evo hub with 4 sensors and works properly.
Low power consume and modular designe

Thanks for the answer … you can give me a link of where you bought the teraranger evo hub with 4 sensor
Tks

hello, this is the website https://www.terabee.com

Hi, I connected my lidar lite v3 to the ic2 … it works and on the status screen I have the values of sonnarrgue … that of rangefinder1 while I don’t have any sonarvoltage. Is this normal? I have there is something that I have to modify to have this sonarvoltage value ??
Thank yousonarvoltage.pdf (430.6 KB)

Hi,

Since you are using i2c connection and not voltage based sensor input, I think this is normal. As long as you have sonarrange working correctly, it should be fine.