4S battery for IRIS

Hi,
I’ve been researching a 4s battery for the IRIS in order to gain more thrust and reduce throttle at altitude. I live and fly above 6000 feet and would like to take off and fly as high as 14k ASL, if that’s even possible (I’m guessing that we’re just as altitude limited as many single prop helicopters). The thinner air causes a higher throttle at hover depending on altitude.

NOTE: I’m not talking about flying more than a few hundred feet off the deck - AGL. :slight_smile:

I’ve found a 4s battery that seems close to the max physical size I’ve seen diacussed, Kypom K6 4500mah 4s 35c.
The numbers I’ve plugged into ecalc are right on the edge max-power wise , I also wanted to check here in case anyone knows of any other reason that this battery would not be compatible with the IRIS (either electronically or physically) or has a better alternative battery before I spend the money. I have read that the tarot gimbal may need a UBEC in order to be fed 12 volts.

mikrokopter.altigator.com/4500ma … jtehsoceg1

High discharge lightweight Lithium Polymer Kypom battery pack K6 series.

Technical specifications:

Capacity: 4500mAh
Voltage: 4S1P / 4 Cells / 14.8V
Dimensions (HxWxL): approx. 47 x 26 x 145 mm
Continuous discharge rate: 35C
Weight (including cables & connectors): approx. 490 grams
Balance plug: JST-XH (this plug is compatible with all of our battery chargers)

Thanks!

bump

Look at the comments of this video: youtube.com/watch?v=6GLsfeovGFU
"Update: I am finding that using a 4S lipo (I tried a 4200mAh) a much better match if you want to do any more than just hover or cruise around. With a 3S you feel the weight of the quad."

If you give the 4S LiPo a try that you have linked, I’d be interested in finding out how it went.

Kanga,
that’s really awesome. But what does he mean that he’s using the px4 firmware, isn’t that the same code that runs on the Pixhawk? or is he using a different code base that we are not?
Thanks and I will certainly post to the forum if I decide to try this battery.

I honestly have no idea what he means with the firmware.

But I did remember quite a few people mentioning that they fly with 4S batteries. Even someone from 3DR confirmed that IRIS will work with 4S. Only the gimbal needs a voltage step-down board. Can’t recall where I read that though as I don’t have a gimbal and I’m not planning on getting one for IRIS.

Hi,

did someone try IRIS with 4S?

I am considering flying IRIS with gimbal and GoPro (possibly FPV) with 4S 4000 mAh instead of 3S 4500+ mAh. Does someone have experience with it?

I am also not sure, if it will be necessary to use UBEC for Gimbal, if it will be powered from pixhawk. Am I right with that?

Thanks, Tomas

[quote=“Tomas”]I am also not sure, if it will be necessary to use UBEC for Gimbal, if it will be powered from pixhawk. Am I right with that?[/quote] The gimbal is not powered from the Pixhawk, the gimbal gets its power from the battery, so in case you use a 4S battery you need to lower the voltage. Here you can find more information:
copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common … he_Pixhawk

Tomas,

yes, I’m flying IRIS with Gimbal and tall legs on 4S-3000mAh batteries. See here for more: cloud-surfer.net/2014/07/14/3dr- … batteries/

What 4S-4000mAh battery did you find that fits into IRIS?

Chris

[quote=“RogelioN”][quote=“Tomas”]I am also not sure, if it will be necessary to use UBEC for Gimbal, if it will be powered from pixhawk. Am I right with that?[/quote] The gimbal is not powered from the Pixhawk, the gimbal gets its power from the battery, so in case you use a 4S battery you need to lower the voltage. Here you can find more information:
copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common … he_Pixhawk[/quote]

Thanks, after some digging around I figure it out…

[quote=“kangajump”]Tomas,

yes, I’m flying IRIS with Gimbal and tall legs on 4S-3000mAh batteries. See here for more: cloud-surfer.net/2014/07/14/3dr- … batteries/

What 4S-4000mAh battery did you find that fits into IRIS?

Chris[/quote]

Hi, I read your blog yesterday, nice work. Inspired by it I will try to run Zippy Compact 4S 4000 mAh and 10x3,8 props

I will post results and logs.

Let us know how it goes with that battery!
I’m especially interested in finding out if it fits with the 27mm height. The Lipo I’m using is 25mm in height and has a snug fit. But it would be really cool if it would fit.