3-position switch behaves like 2-position switch

Most of the wiki articles take more time for the content than the formatting. If you make the content Henry will almost always help out with the formatting.

It might need an explanation of the difference between Edge Tx vs Open Tx.

I may be forced to learn how to use github one way or another. I’ll work on this and see what I can make of it.

I may be forced to learn how to use github one way or another.

Haha haha must bring more folks to the lightside of github. :slight_smile:

If you write something here on Discuss as its own post I can always throw it up on github for you if needed.

Or you can just create an issue with the writeup.

The guide is pretty complete. It’s very easy to edit a page entirely within the web interface (quick edit).

For those with any interest in becoming involved with the project, it’s almost a must to get familiar with git and GitHub. Highly recommend doing so.

https://ardupilot.org/ardupilot/docs/common-wiki_editing_guide.html

1 Like

Thank you for confirming. It’s an odd design choice, and I have not seen it documented anywhere on the ELRS site (it should be front and center and bolded for additional clarity). But great to hear that it wasn’t just me doing something wrong… Took me a good day and a half of digging and trying various things until I concluded that there must be something special about CH5, and moved on to using CH8 instead for the flight modes.

They do document it. Often in bold, with warning signs on many occasions. Even on the switch config page there are at least four occasions.

First: the very top of the page.

Second:

Third, including a reason why (to be taken together with the fact that the bandwidth of the transmission protocol is really small to enhance link quality at a distance):

Fourth:

1 Like

Wow, thanks. I guess I never made the connection that AUX1 == CH5. That makes sense. Thank you!

I better move my arming protocol to CH5! I learned something new today :heartpulse:.

1 Like

I am having the same problems, and i am trying to figure out a work around. I have confirmed that it isn’t my tx doing this, and it is infact ELRS doing this as stated above, effectively turning my 3 pos switch into a 2 pos switch.

Compounding my issue, I am using a Betaflight PWM RX that only has CH1-5 which makes my only available AUX switch (CH5) forced into being a 2 way switch when it really needs to be a 3 way switch for the plane to have full functionality. (I am flying fixed wing if you haven’t figured that out).

Is there a work around that I can use like some mix in my TX that I could access the “middle” position on my switch without an extra channel on the receiver?

I feel like that there should be a way to disable that, and we shouldn’t be stuck into only being able to use CH5 as a 2 pos as not everyone flies the same thing, and quite frankly, it doesn’t line up with some of the hardware available.

Is there a way I can change something in the .lua so that I can override this? Sorry if some of my questions are noobish, dense, or poorly worded. I am new to the whole opentx/ELRS thing.

If your radio only supports 5 channels, I’m afraid you’re stuck with that ELRS behavior.

I’m not familiar with that receiver, and it seems unnecessarily limiting that there are only 5 channels on a protocol which reasonably supports over double that. However, Betaflight is a very different animal than ArduPilot, and perhaps using very little bandwidth has some minimal advantage in latency, which I know is important to many who use it.