What controlls acceleration?

Hi

Im using a 6 motor skid steer system that use planetary drives. I have the rover navigating well and steering smoothly. However the autopilot is still being pretty tough on the gears during acceleration and stopping. It appears to accelerate too quickly and appears to just cut the power instantly when it wants to stop. This puts excessive load on the gear train and causes less than smooth starts and stops.

Its unclear to me which parameter controls the acceleration / deceleration time…they appear to be approaching zero right now. What can I do to get this time closer to 3 meters or 2 seconds?

Thanks!

I think you are looking for the THR_SLEWRATE parameter. I tried that some time ago and it worked.

THR_SLEWRATE is what you want.

http://ardupilot.org/rover/docs/parameters.html#thr-slewrate-throttle-slew-rate

Just editing my post - I didn’t see your reply Linus until I replied - weird. But as always you are correct :slight_smile:

Thanks, Grant.

1 Like

Nice…a lot like the plane setting. Figured it was something like that.

Thanks

-Gun

@gmorph/Linus,

If I remember correctly Tridge developed that parameter for me after finding that step function initial acceleration to the requested velocity was causing the NiMH batteries in my 4WD Traxxas Slash brushless Rover to brown out causing the Pixhawk1 to go into reset as was experienced by me at the 2014 AVC.

Regards,
TCIII AVD

1 Like

Hi Tom, yes i think that was the reason.

One thing i remeber was that you cant have throttle slew and active braking at the same time. at least that was what i had found.

i wanted slew rate to soften acceleration and so safe gears from shaving but wanted the brake of my ESC trigger so the rover would slow down rapidly before turning.

@gmorph maybe it would be good to seperate thr slewing into acceleration and deceleration parts so active beaking will work together with thr slew rate?

Cheers
Linus

There is a BRAKING parameter
http://ardupilot.org/rover/docs/parameters.html#braking-percent-percentage-braking-to-apply
but its implementation is very simple. Might be worth trying though in conjunction with BRAKING_SPEEDERR.

Thanks, Grant.

@gmorph,
I effectively used the BRAKING parameter as well as the BRAKING_SPEEDERR parameter to achieve a 48.1 second one time run of the Rover 100 meter T3 course using my Traxxas brushless 4WD E-Maxx Rover.
Regards,
TCIII AVD

Hi @TCIII,

lm using a APM 3.1.5 on a Traxxas Slash Rover. I don´t know how to control the speed during the mission. The CRUISE_SPEED is controled by GPS? I set up CRUISE_SPEED to 1 m/s, but in AUTO mode the rover goes very fast, so I tried to control the speed by the PWM value of the RC3_MAX, RC3_MIN, and RC3_TRIM parameters. Those values don´t fix the speed to 1 m/s.

How can I do it?

Regards,

Iker