This should be interesting

Mrobotics does still sell it. Although for the price you would think it has gold in it. It flat out works.

David

My Pixhawk came with a few different mounting foam blocks, i went with the thicker black foam ones. They had some very thick pads in there as well but im hoping the ones I picked work out.
Tim

They are a 1/4 inch. 3M 467 MP- 200MP Adhesive to be exact.

David

I had to look it up. Since I have mostly flown fixed with mine, I never used them!. Still have them somewhere.

What works best with a Pixhawk 2 and a 1 may be totally different. Very good with the “old” Pixhawk 1.

David

Timbaconheli Final Parameters before first flight.param (13.5 KB)

My final parameters before the maiden. :confused:
Tim

Did the parameter change for tail rotor rev work?

Bill,
Yup, that was exactly what I needed. Stick commands the right direction now and the gyro compensates properly I’m totally happy I caught that before I spooled it up. Been there before and watched it do the cyclone of death while I waited for the rotor to stop after hitting throttle hold.
Thanks again!
Tim

Oh and now that i’m thinking about it, I wonder why there is access to multiple ways to reverse an RC channel? I mean, obviously they do different things as one helped the Pixhawk compensate in the right direction, but from a beginners standpoint it makes it more difficult to set-up initially and creates more room for error. Also, either i’m not looking in the right place, or there are some needed updates to the ardupilot.org parameter lists?
Tim

Tim,
Looking over your param file I noticed that you didn’t change the pitch and roll I and D gains. At a minimum I would urge you to set the ATC_RAT_PIT_D and ATC_RAT_RLL_D to zero. I think it is a good idea to set ATC_RAT_PIT_I and ATC_RAT_RLL_I to zero for tuning the P gains. Lastly I still think the P gains in pitch and roll are a little high for first flight. I suggest you cut them in half.

Bill,
Thanks for the advice. Ill change accordingly, i just finished setting up channel 6 to a knob for tuning P @ pitch and roll. Although, the very first flight will be with the heli immobilized on the ground should the rotor attempt to do anything unexpected. If it stays flat and doesent try to tear itself apart, ill throw on the psuedo teaining gear and try to hover it.
Of course, ill set up the camera and get some video, hopefully of it flying. :confused:
Thanks again,
Tim

Rather than finding out about it later, I would also suggest setting this one to 0.3
ACCEL_Z_P,0.5

Won’t be a problem in Stabilize but it will be in Alt Hold. And for a little heli it just makes them do a cute little hop dance. For a big heli this first clip could be entitled “accel_z_p set a little high?”

Thanks Chris!,
Although i have no intention of trying altitude hold or any of the other GPS enabled modes for awhile, it still helps to adjust for any errors continously until im ready to try.
Ive read the traditional heli setup page many many times, and it definatly does not cover many of the things pertinent to the setup of a traditional helicopter with Pixhawk.
Also, alot of the parameter names have seemingly changed and that causes even more confusion.
When you dont know exactly what your looking for and why, you are forced to use the search function as in my case and being even one character off in the name of a patameter means you wont find it. Point in hand, the parameter Bill helped me track down to reverse the tail servo/gyro.
As ive said before, i genuinely appreciate all the help for everyone and fingers are crossed for no mishaps on the first flight, although i will be employing some of your ideas for mitigating disaster. Ergo, the 2x6 and some concrete blocks followed by training gear.
It pains me to say this, but ive never been so un-confident in a maiden.
Thanks again,
Tim

So i set up channel 6 tuning as directed, i noticed at mid point on the knob its at 0 and at full pwm its .3. So basically im not getting full tuning resolution?
Min is 0, max is 300 under tuning.
Tim

so looking at your param file, it looks as though you didn’t calibrate channel 6. You can do one of two things, 1) calibrate your radio again or 2) go into the param file and adjust the RC6_MIN. I would do the latter. however get your system powered and connected to MP. Then go into the Flight Data tab and in the lower left corner of the screen (below the hud) there is a bunch of tabs, select the status tab. Then look for the RCIN6 (I think) and rotate your knob to the full limit and then note the min and max PWM. Then make the parameters match those values.

Thanks for the alternative method for calibrating the channel. I had done a calibration, but it was through the gui in mission planner and clearly it dident work correctly. Makes me question other channels now. ?
Tim

Just remember that you have to adjust your knob so that your P values read approximately .03 when you read back your parameters. Once you set up the tuning parameter, then those parameters are tied to the knob and any adjustments you made to them in mission planner will not be accepted.

Thanks again Bill. As long as this weather holds its getting spooled up today. :confused:
Tim

While im thinking about it, i wonder if having the Here GPS unit so far back on the horizontal stabilizer is going to cause issue with the compass, gps and how it affects its position solution?
Like when i go to yaw in a gps mode, will it do it off axis?
Tim

Since it’s measuring heading, I don’t think the compass will care where it is located on the aircraft It would be different if it was Pitch or roll since those use accelerations to determine attitude