Swash plate setup changing by itself Trad heli using F/W 3.4.6

This is the amount of slop in the tail

Majority is in the tail slider. A little bit in the pushrod/servo.

That amount wonā€™t cause it to not track heading. It may make it ā€œhuntā€ back and forth a bit sometimes, but I think I would try turning up the I gain a bit first, and leave the rest of the settings where they are. Adjust one thing at a time. Maybe make a short mission where the helicopter flies in a circle or something and returns back to home. Fly it at slow speed so if it doesnā€™t track yaw, it doesnā€™t have to fly sideways very fast. Fly the mission repeatedly, donā€™t make any rudder input with the radio, and turn up the I gain a bit at a time to see if makes it start tracking the heading. Start at 0.17 and if you get to around 0.25 and itā€™s not fixing it, then thatā€™s not the problem.

If itā€™s not I-gain, then Iā€™d look at increasing the RC4 deadzone to 30 or 40. Iā€™ve seen where if the deadzone is too tight, some radios will put out a signal and cause the aircraft to hold one heading during an Auto mission. I didnā€™t see that in your log, and you say the tail doesnā€™t seem to be quite as locked in as it should be. So I suspect the gains first.

And finally, if you get it to track the heading, and it seems ā€œsloppyā€ then do something about that tail linkage.

Hi
Itā€™s been to windy to try AUTO on my 45Pro. While Iā€™ve been waiting to get a good test day, I decided to check my head speed. Iā€™ve never thought about it before, ISo I purchesed the Headspeed Tachometer, that you advised in another Topic. So my tests to-day were giving me a speed very close to 2900rpm. As I said it is on a 450Pro FBL heli.
Any remarks would be helpfull. The weather looks very good for Wednesday to do my AUTO flight.

Hi Geoff,
Thatā€™s right in the ballpark for a 450, maybe a couple hundred fast for a UAV heli. Smaller helicopters like low headspeed less than big ones do. So now that you have a tach, you could turn it down to 2,600 or 2,700 and try it. If itā€™s really sluggish and doesnā€™t fly decent, or takes too much collective to hover it, then turn it back up.

Youā€™re really not going to save that much power slowing a 450 down. They run really low blade tip speed to begin with, compared to 500-700 class. And your helicopter looked really good in your video. So I would consider it experimental to turn it down some and see if it still flies good.

Hi
Well I go my AUTO flight in to-day, I think it went fairly good. It did just below two circuits of our flying field. Took off in STAB and switched to LOITER, all looked good so I hit the AUTO switch.set to 10Mtrs then a short run at 5 Mtrs. Later on it was told to LOITER for 15sec then carry on to come home to a RTL. It missed the board by about 1 Mtr.
Iā€™ve attached the Bin file and a Video of the flight( some of the shakes was my camera operated, and the planned mission.

2017-05-24 10-19-58.bin (3.5 MB)

That looks really good. Iā€™m not at my computer with APM Planner2 in it right now but Iā€™ll look at your BIN later this evening.

Nice job on getting your 450 to fly that nice, though!

Geoff, I looked over your log and I donā€™t see anything wrong with it. Looks to me like you got a really nice flying 450 there.

Hi
Thanks Chris and Bill for taking the time to sort me outā€¦ As I said before I am the only club member to fly Helicopters,so I donā€™t have anybody to discuss the setting up with.

Geoff

No problem Geoff. Iā€™m glad we could help you.

Hi Chris & Bill
I did a Auto flight yesterday. There seems to be a little shake, but I canā€™t make out if itā€™s YAW or ROLL. but the flight went very well. Iā€™m open to suggestions.

The bin file3 was to big to download, but I can upload any screen shots you may require. Near the end of the flight It did a LOITER TURN at 2mtr radus.
attached Paramā€™s File

Quad030617.param (14.1 KB)

Geoff, it was kind of hard to tell from the video, but it looked like a little bounce in the pitch? Is that what you would think?

What I have done, and it works pretty good, is if you have a lightweight action camera like a GoPro - mount it solid to the helicopter (no gimbal) and review the in-flight video taken with it. Itā€™s very easy to see which axis it is thatā€™s giving you jittery video.

If you determine itā€™s in the pitch axis for instance. You can try to soften that a bit by setting this to say 3.5 instead of 4.5.
ATC_ANG_PIT_P,4.5

And you can also play with these angular acceleration rates. For littler helicopters Iā€™d typically quicken those up a bit (the increment is 1000), bigger ones Iā€™d slow them down so the helicopter makes more gentle, smooth, graceful moves. Like a 600, Iā€™ll have pitch and roll around 72000. For a 500 probably default 110000. For a 450 maybe 150000. This is the angular acceleration in centidegrees per second per second that is allowed. So, for instance, if you have a pitch bounce just because it accelerates too fast on the pitch axis and you get a ā€œbouncebackā€ effect from it, soften it a little by setting the pitch to, say, 90000.
ATC_ACCEL_P_MAX,110000
ATC_ACCEL_R_MAX,110000
ATC_ACCEL_Y_MAX,27000

So, finally got out with my heli again. I had a quick session a few weeks back where I added the suggested tweaks to the tail rotor.
On the first pack today, I went through a quick ā€˜retuningā€™ of P & I to see if I could improve on it, but I quickly ended back at my original values. Previous session I had also experimented a bit with the head speed and found that if I increased the headspeed, I needed to lower my P value.
Iā€™m now back at the original head speed, but I also have asymmetrical blades on it, so I think I can probably go lower still.
Anyways; I still think stabilize could be, well more stable, but loiter was looking pretty good, so I decided to give a small auto-mission a goā€¦and it was kinda awesome?. I might even have done a little dance when it auto-landed on itā€™s own. The only moment that looked a bit out of whack, was when it stopped to start the landing procedure, but it was more the abruptness of it than anything.
I put the camera on it and ran the mission two more times. I now really need to move to one of my larger, more remote spots so that I can expand on this without worrying about the surroundings.

If any of you would have time to look at the logs to see that itā€™s behaving as it should, it would be much appreciated. Also added the video, which, as boring as it is, represents a decent milestone for me.

Log:

Parameters:

Jakob, that is really cool. And your helicopter is nice and smooth too and takes nice video, with what I assume is a solid mounted camera!

Thanks! More or less. Itā€™s got a single foampad between the camera & frame, but is still strapped to the frame with a velcro strap.
Need to get moving with the custom landing gear!

1 Like

Hi
Attached video taken with a fixed camera , on a auto flight. It does various heights between 10mtr and 3 mtrs. The 3mtrs turned out a bit low, which we put down to temp variation with the blades runnings, and the heli standing in the sunshine.

1 Like

Also a bit over exposed. Should be better next time